Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Gulzar - 74, not out!

Today is Gulzar's 74th birthday. One wishes him a long and healthy life on the occasion. His music couples heavenly poetry with haunting tunes and each of his efforts is a masterpiece by itself. Beginning his career in 1963 through the evergreen hit 'Bandini', there was no looking back for him. I never tire from hearing them and my 10 all time favourites of his are the following:-
(a) Mora gora ang laile (Bandini)
(b) Bole re papihara (Guddi)
(c) Koi hota jisko apna (Mere Apne)
(d) Musafir hoon yaro (Parichay)
(e) Dil dhundta hai (Mausam)
(f) Tere bina zindagi se (Aandhi)
(g) Naam goom jayega (Kinara)
(h) Yara seeli seeli (Lekin)
(j) Dil hoom hoom kare (Rudali)
(k) Chaiyya chaiyya (Dil se)

And amongst them, the lyrics that I adore most is 'Musafir hoon yaro' as I feel it best describes my personality - the number was a hit and frequently played in my squadron's ante room while I was going through the various phases of ragging and thereby etched in the innermost recesses of my brain !

Gulzarsaab, here's me wishing you health, wealth and happiness yet again! And may there be many more creations from you in the years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment