Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Rakshabandhan

Today's 'Rakshabandhan' which is a festival celebrated with much vigour and verve, all over north India, wherein the brother reaffirms his commitment to protect his sister, through the voyage of life.

What a beautiful concept? Being a mallu and the brother of two sisters younger to me, I often used to wonder as to why we did not celebrate this day back home in Kerala. And I used to feel sad that I was missing it all because I did not have the colourful 'rakhi' tied around my wrists like the others, especially during my NDA days!

I suppose, this symbolism is highlighted in the north as it was subjected to frequent invasions by marauders over the centuries! Anyways, my greetings to all my north Indian friends on the occasion.

And the immediate result in Delhi was that the roads had less of traffic making driving a pleasure and the average attendance, especially that of the civilians in the offices, reduced considerably!!

No comments:

Post a Comment