Thursday, August 5, 2010

On a nostalgic trip!

The cable service providers of Arjan Vihar have added a round-the-clock music channel ‘Mastii’ and I’m already set to be its addict. The channel couples humour with music, in that music is preceded by spoofs on the numerous serials, chat and other reality shows that are currently in vogue.
This evening, a song from the movie ‘Sharmilee’, a super hit of the early 70s, was shown and boy, wasn't it a treat?! I'd seen this movie, for the first time, while I was a cadet in the NDA and since I liked it so much, I saw it twice more while on liberty to the Poona city, subsequently. A suave Shashi Kapoor and the vivacious Rakhee(that too in a double role) were nice to watch and all the numbers were and continue to be hits.
In fact, I remember telling my divisional officer, Sarabjit Mitra, who was an IAF pilot that I wanted to change my service to the army simply because I'd liked Shashi Kapoor as an army officer in the film!! And I still remember a guffawing Sarabjit Mitra who christened me 'Shashi Kapoor' and continued to call me so, whenever he saw me from then on.
And yes, the one thing that always boosted my spirits at the Academy, during my training days, was the movie sessions every weekend - English, on Saturdays and Hindi, on Sundays and I don't remember having missed a single one during my entire stay. Years later, even when I was back at the Academy as a DivO, I did make it a point to watch every movie without fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment