Wednesday, August 4, 2010

This, I suppose is the trend in parent - children relationship!

I’m in a carpool where we form a foursome. Driving to office has become lively as each one of us put in a thought for discussion and we go through the pros and cons to reach the office without getting the feel of the vagaries of the prevalent traffic. Similarly, the return drive also gets to be interesting while exchanging the day’s events that had gone by. Consequently, fuel is saved and the wear and tear on each of our vehicles also gets reduced!
This evening was no different but it was the agony of a fellow traveler that was shared. His daughter, studying in class XII had told her school authorities that she just didn’t like doing ‘science’ and opted for ‘humanities’ instead. Such selection of streams is possible at this stage but as the sad father said, it had the following ramifications:-
(a) The child needs to get a good grasp of the new subjects, under humanities, over the span of the next seven months before the Board Exams, which could be a tough call.
(b) Certain avenues were going to get permanently closed for the child after having exercised the option of switching over from science to humanities.
(c) The tutors, who’d been arranged for teaching science thus far, had to be discontinued forthwith.
And what made matters worse was that the child had taken this momentous decision while at school and the parents were informed about it, by the school authorities, subsequently. That had hurt the poor parents (I happened to meet the mother during my walk in the evening) immensely, though they’re putting up a brave front in supporting their child’s decision.
When I was young, though my parents were generally liberal in their outlook, important decisions pertaining to my future were their prerogative and I’d followed their diktat without asking any questions and I daresay that everything has gone off well. However, when I heard of this child’s decision of today, I can’t help but agree with her, that, she knows what she wants best and hence did the correct thing to speak up at the appropriate moment. But yes, she could have discussed the issue with her parents before going to town with her decision!
Am I sounding confused? You must agree with me that I’d always labeled myself as a confused bundle of thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment