Thursday, August 19, 2010

Those halcyon days - will I ever meet them?

Today, I happened to hear this old rhyme that I'd learnt at the Holy Angels' Convent, Thiruvananthapuram where I'd done my third and fourth classes during 1963-'65 and the wordings go something like this,
"Somethin' the world is full of fun and frolic
And so am I and so am I.
Somethin' the world is full of melancholy
But not so I but not so I".

Those were the days when we're growing up under the watchful eyes of Sister Anne,
our class teacher, who was a fund of knowledge, full of kindness and compassion who wanted each one of us to imbibe the right things of life. Her beautiful, smiling face and energetic gait - in the flowing white and brown habit - shall ever remain etched in my mind. I'm sure I'd not be wrong when I say that they don't make them educators like her anymore and I consider myself lucky in having spent a few of my formative years with her.

And talking about those days, I remember the following classmates of mine even now for their distinct characteristics but have not had the opportunity to meet subsequently:-
(a) Sydney Stephen. I'm yet to see the Sathyan-Ambika superhit 'Adyakiranangal'
but vividly remember every scene, frame by frame, thanks to the wonderful
story telling capability of Sydney. His house was at Pettah and we used to
sit on adjacent seats in the class.
(b) Girija Thampi. A bright eyed girl with long hair, near whom I did not mind
sitting, whenever the teacher used to make us sit with the girls as a
punishment.And the incident that I do remember was when I'd socked another
classmate for making her cry.
(c) Elizabeth. Do not remember her full name but she used to be the pride amongst
the girls for her adeptness in craft. She used to wear ribbons, of various hues
, with the bow stylishly atop her head. She was indeed capable.
(d) Mary. A tomboy to the core but very helpful and highly emotional. I think she
used to stay in the convent and she was simply adorable. Had a high propensity
to get into trouble.
(e) Udayashankar. An ever smiling Uday had to be saved, time and again, from the
bullies. He could never harm a fly and his dimpled smile was of a million
watts as he was on the darker side.
(f) Ajith Kumar. The tallest among us, who was ever helpful and who followed me
to the next school after our stint in the Convent, which was a school meant
for girls from the V class onwards. He used to really take care of me.

Wonder where they're now? I'm sure they must be doing well and it's my fond hope that
I'd be able to meet them someday, in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment