Thursday, March 10, 2011

Why do we shun our civic responsibility?

As the killer of Radhika Tanwar continues to be at large, despite the police's efforts to nab him, a fact that looms gloomily large is that no eye witness has come forward to provide vital clues. Why should such a situation come to pass?

Is it because of the inherent fear of the sessions to be spent at the police station and the legal courts subsequently? Or is it the fear of retribution from the culprit and his gang for having 'squeaked' or is it plain indifference because it's not happening to me and so long as I'm safe, why bother?

I'd like to believe that the last factor is not the raison d'etre.

However, my doubts persist as I see increasing instances of such callous attitude. It's a sure sign of a decaying society. How does a society overcome this alarming trend? Firstly, each person must learn to respect and like the other human being so that his or her worries become his(Jesus Christ's 'love thy neighbour' accentuates this). A vibrant and happy society can only be brought about by having an abundance of this happy situation.

A relevant excerpt of Rabindranath Tagore's 'Gitanjali' comes to mind as I say this and I quote,

"It's in giving that you're given
It's in loving that you're loved
And it's in dying that you're born to eternal life".

No comments:

Post a Comment