Friday, March 11, 2011

Tsunami, yet again!

As I watched with horror and an overwhelming sense of sadness the pictures of devastation of Tokyo and its surroundings, thanks to the Tsunami, the very transience of life struck me with all its might. An act of God or nature's fury, as some of you'd like to put it, showed the vulnerability of us human beings who ignorantly boast of having conquered new frontiers through cutting edge technology and scientific advancements!

And mind you, Japan being a developed country with the wherewithal and the tenacity to overcome disasters of any magnitude was brought to its knees. At this juncture, I'm curious to know as to how we'd have tackled it this time because I ain't sure as to whether we've learnt lessons from the past and have an effective disaster management system in place! From previous experiences, the only thing we're adept at is to go on a blame game spree!

While offering my humble prayers to the thousands who've perished, it's my fond hope that at least now, we do learn from the present situation and take swift steps to set up a foolproof mechanism capable of taking on such eventualities, God forbid, if they're to happen in future.

Tailpiece.

Having pontificated over the issue, I must confess to being very selfish on hearing the news of the disaster. My first reaction was to get in touch with my cousin, Nandu, a research scholar staying at Yokahoma - alongwith his wife and two children - to find out as to whether all was well with them! Thankfully, they were as they're quite far away from the epicentre!

No comments:

Post a Comment