Friday, March 25, 2011

On being the patriarch!

It was a lovely evening at the mess annexe, on the waterfront and the gathering consisted of all the alumni of our school and I was the seniormost! The get together was organised by the energetic subalterns who've just embarked on their naval career, full of hope and it was evident that they're raring to go and make their mark!

My conversation was measured, allaying their fears of the unknown and highlighting on the tremendous opportunities that lay ahead for each of them. There were pointed questions thrown at me, that covered most of the aspects of career progression, within the short span of time that was available. My thrust was on the need to be a good human being first before embarking on professional excellence.

The highpoint, on a personal note, was when a newly married couple came up to me and said a lot of nice things. The young lady, after her post graduation, was working as a librarian and is researching on 'PN Panicker, the father of the library movement in Kerala' and some of the things that she'd narrated from her thesis were not even known to me! And I thought I knew everything about my grandfather!!

An evening well spent thanks to the interaction with a dynamic and mostly, an idealistic set of youngsters. I, for one, got a lot of inputs on the interests of the present generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment