Monday, March 21, 2011

A tale of two interactions.

I'd the contrasting experience of my interactions with two gentlemen that took place within the space of a few hours. That both of them were as different as chalk and cheese would get amplified from my narration and for me, it was another lesson in life!

The first gentleman talked in hyperboles, talked on subjects in an indirect manner and to my surprise, was hearing and not listening to me in the strictest sense. And mind you it was not that he was in a tearing hurry, we'd a one-on-one for over 45 minutes! To me this was a new experience as I believe in talking things straight - and no, it wasn't anything personal but a very genuine organisational need - like the proverbial cowboy who fires from his hip! Why did it happen so? I've tried to find answers from the following possibilities and am still grappling for the actual reason:-
(a) Was he offended because I'd taken him as an equal and was not subservient?
(b) Does he've a natural aversion for a 'mallu' as he hails from J&K, as he did point out a few aspects of Kerala that he found unacceptable, in the course of our conversation?
(c) Did he think that my meeting with him was stage managed to cover my visit to the town, ostensibly for a personal reason? He'd asked me as to whether I'd any relations in town but the fact was that I'd driven in straight from Kochi to Palakkad, finished the official interaction and returned to be at my office, a trifle after lunchtime as there was a lot to do. My sister, incidentally, stays at Palakkad and I'd like to meet her later while I'm on leave!
(d) Does my quiet demeanour incite people like him to finger me for their sheer sadistic pleasure?
(e) Or is it the general apathy for the armed forces that one's witness to, quite often, in this country?

My second interaction was with an elderly gentleman, who, despite his physical discomfort and constraints of time, showed an eagerness to be with me and offered to help, unconditionally! He was genuine and above all, respected and loved his fellow beings! In fact, I felt a tinge of sadness creeping into me as I took his permission to take leave of him.

May there be more of the latter!!

No comments:

Post a Comment