Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Life's tough for some of us!

Lekha and me had a lovely evening at my friend's place. His flat atop the 9th floor of the posh building that houses about 60 apartments is a dream come true and straight out of what one sees, usually, in movies. In fact, it's in one of the good addresses in town!

My friend - we're together in school as well as at the Academy - is a family man who loves to spend as much of his time as possible with them but is unable to do so because of circumstances. He's in the merchant marine and is out sailing almost round the year. His daughter is married and stays with her husband in an estate on the foothills of the western ghats and the son is abroad, pursuing a professional course. And it's his wife who's the lone occupant of the house through the year, of course, with the domestic helps as company.

In a lighter vein and after a couple of pegs of scotch, I'd accosted him playfully and asked him as to how long he planned to make money like this without enjoying life the way he'd have loved to. I did not realise my ability to put my foot into my mouth rather easily (being a Sagittarian) because my innocent prodding brought out my friend's sob story. He has heavy loans to repay thanks to the flat and his son's continuing education and by his estimate he'd have to work for another ten years!

The effect of the scotch just wore away and I was sober, feeling a tremendous compassion for my beleagured friend. As we parted, he gave me a tight hug and silently, I wished him an early resolution to his problems so that he could also enjoy the simple things of life.

Life, indeed, can be tough and unforgiving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment