Friday, October 28, 2011

Adieu Leela kunjamma.

The last few hours have been horribly depressing. I simply can't believe that my happy-go-lucky maasi - Leela kunjamma - is no more. The doctors had done an angioplasty on her, she was wheeled back into the coronary care unit for post operative care and within a couple of hours subsequent to that, complications had set in and she was gone, plunging the entire family into immense sadness.

She is the second daughter of the PN Panickers, had finished her matriculation and because she was shy about her pronounced lisp, decided to take up a vocation rather than continuing with her education. And that was that! She was an outgoing, simple and helpful lady and had brought up a lot of young, underprivileged children in addition to her three - two sons and a daughter! Her husband, the mercurial Sivasankara Kurup who used to essay the role of 'Munshi' on Asianet till recently, is a broken man. As I sat with him, when the connected ceremonies with the funeral were on, he was voluble about his 52 years spent with her and the way she'd accepted him with his warts and the moles.

We'd a very close relationship and she used to insist on my calling her up once every week, a habit that I maintain with my mom and dad. I can never forget 20 Jan this year, when I'd called up at 6, in the morning to wish her a happy birthday. She was excited and told me that I was the first to call her up before her children and added, that she preferred it that way. Disarmingly simple in outlook, she was charmingly unconscious of her charm!

As we're shifting her body to the pyre for her final journey, I realised as to how frail she was - notwithstanding that, she'd always been a bundle of energy. Resplendent in the silk saree that she'd worn 52 years back at her wedding, she looked beautiful and full of grace. My mom, her senior, is inconsolable.

I still can't believe that she's no more as she'd promised to come to Kochi and celebrate my birthday next month. All of 74 years, she's coincidentally disappeared into the mist of time almost like her mom with whom she'd a very special relationship.

My tears and prayers for you, Leela kunjamma. Missing you and shall continue to miss you till my very end!

No comments:

Post a Comment