Monday, October 3, 2011

My latest girlfriend!

"Man realises the importance of a relationship when he gains one or when he loses one".

What a paradox, eh? If relationships were that important why should one ever reach the point of losing it - but that's the tragicomedy of life! And I'd like to leave it at that and dwell upon a new friend that I've acquired in my present neighbourhood.

She's Anoushka, all of 9 years and studying in class 3. Actually, I must recount as to how I made friends with her. About a month back, when I was returning from my customary evening walk, a bunch of five little girls - Anoushka was one amongst them, of course! - crowded around and requested me for a donation for a nearby orphanage. I promised to help them but with a rider, that they'd to help me with my spelling! I'd then asked for their assistance to spell 'pudding' and each one of them rattled out the correct answer. I stumped them by saying that it was actually 'pu..ding...ding' and that they're all wrong. The li'l girls went to town with their mirthy laughter and it was Anoushka's reaction - that reflected a maturity far beyond her age - that really stumped me, 'Uncle, that was a good joke' she said rather matter of factly. Thank god, she didn't call me a joker! The foundation of our friendship was firmly laid that evening.

From then on, there has been no looking back. She waits every evening to tell me about all that happened in her class that day and I really look forward to these interactions with Anoushka. This evening she's let out a secret - her birthday falls on 13 Oct and she's invited me(and I would like to believe that I'm the first and the only uncle that she's invited!!).

It'd take a lot of effort on my part to think of an appropriate present for the li'l princess.

No comments:

Post a Comment