Sunday, October 16, 2011

Small men with big egos.

One comes across a lot of people, drawn over a wide microcosm, in one's official work. The experiences can work out to be a thriller that will defy the box office qualities of a meaningful movie by the sheer outrageous behaviour that are on display! Let me narrate an incident that I was privy to.

The local pointsman of the railways had asked me as to whether a meeting could be arranged for his senior with the concerned guys of our department, when he came here during the coming week, from Thiruvananthapuram. Like a good friend, I tried to contact the concerned guy over the weekend but to no avail. It was from someone working close with him that I learnt that 'the worthy' was miffed by the fact that I was trying to meet without having called on him officially! Frankly, I'd not done so because I'd nothing related to his department pending resolution!

Just imagine, one's ego coming in the way of meaningful output! Small men with big egos.

In our country, it is the trend, going by the numerous incidents that one reads or hears about. The guys occupying important positions in government or any organisation for that matter, have bloated egos often fuelled by subservient behaviour on the part of their subordinates - the 'Sir ji syndrome' as I'd like to call it. I suppose this is what a study conducted on human behaviour, in world organisations like the UN etc, had underlined when it talked of a 'KUPD(kiss up piss down) syndrome usually exhibited by Indians, whereby they bootlicked their seniors but booted their subordinates!

The mind has to be unshackled from such narrow outlook to do something big!!     

No comments:

Post a Comment