Sunday, October 23, 2011

On connecting.

1. With my classmate.

It was nice talking to this friend of mine, years after I'd left school. Life has been unduly harsh on him and to my reckoning, it started from the day he'd joined school. Since I was an appointment from class IX, I was shifted out of the house where my classmates were in majority and given the responsibility of junior boys of classes V and VI and thus was not aware of the goings on amongst my classmates! It was much later that I'd come to know as to how he'd been given a raw deal by my classmates(me included as ignorance is no excuse!). He has no communication with his mother and sister thanks to the differences that had cropped up during the division of the family's ancestral property. To make matters worse, his marriage had floundered after a baby girl was born to them. Thankfully, his professional excellence has made him a star, today. It was him that I was privileged to chat with, last night.

At one time conversation came to a standstill, as I heard him cry............I didn't interrupt and finally, after what seemed to be ages, he regained his composure and promised to visit me soon.


2. With my uncle.

I'd called up my uncle, just to find out as to how his wife - Leela kunjamma, my maasi - was faring. She continues to be at the hospital and the doctors are toiling to get her parameters back to normal so that they can carry out an angioplasty on her. Everyone attending to her seems to have forgotten the fact that her husband, back home, is worried about his wife's state, though they might be withholding the minutest details with the good intention of not upsetting him, perhaps!

So when I'd called up, I gave him an overview of the situation that I was aware of. After listening to my update, I heard him cry..................I didn't interrupt and finally, when he was through he thanked me for reducing his agony.


3. With Murali Nair.

He was discharged from hospital late last evening and is back home. Since I couldn't visit him, I'd given a call this morning and Radhika had put me onto him. I cannot describe the immense relief that I got on hearing his voice and he was only too eager to relive those difficult moments of Wednesday night till he lost all consciousness after the cardiac arrest. He says, he can't recollect anything that happened during the subsequent hours.

He then said that 19 Oct, from now on, would be his second birthday and was crying.................I was at a loss for words and didn't know how to respond appropriately. I could only mumble that I'd look him up at the earliest when he seemed to have recollected his emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment