Thursday, October 27, 2011

Thangamani comes calling.

Thangamani hails from Thirunelveli in Tamilnadu. He's fought two parliamentary elections from his constituency under the banner of a less known political outfit called the 'Tamizhaga Rajiv Congress' and in the process, lost his security deposit both times. He's a diehard optimist - I remember his emphatic explanation during his second attempt(we got to know each other only after his first) as to how poised he was to win, in the prevalent conditions! When the results were out, I did not have the heart to ask him as to why it turned out to be otherwise. He's one of the volunteers who work for my grandfather's Foundation and is a very sincere worker at that.

His physical being can deflate the confidence of the toughest guy and the faint hearted feels comfortable staying far away from him. This is because he sports a very offensive looking moustache, is a huge hulk giving one the impression that he's a toughie and anyone who messes with him could be in grave trouble!

The simple fact is that Thangamani cannot harm even a fly. Period! So, I'd like to believe that god has given him his tough exterior so that he doesn't get taken for a ride by the others!!

 I remember the time when he cried and he cried seeing a fellow volunteer going through tough times and he could be pacified only when that person was retrieved from his difficult situation. He's asked me time and again as to whether he could work in my vicinity so that he could take care of my safety also. I have only laughed away at the suggestion and left it at that.

Today, he'd come to town, on work. Last night he'd informed me about his programme and about coming to meet me, for a while, at my workplace. I was shocked to see him with a fruit basket and his trademark grin. When I chided him, he tells me nonchalantly that in his part of the country, one always went to meet one's 'anna' with a small(?) gift!

Now what does one say to that?   

No comments:

Post a Comment