Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The extraordinary coupled with trivia.

1. Turbaned Tornado.

It's amazing to know about 100 year old Fauja Singh, who's got into the Guinness records for being the oldest person to have completed a full distance marathon in Toronto, Canada. It took him over eight hours to cross the finishing line which was more than six hours after the winner, a Kenyan, had done so. The event workers had by then dismantled the barricades, the sponsor banners and the buntings but that did not deter the media, family, friends and supporters of his in giving him a rousing welcome. 

He'd begun running about 20 years ago after he'd lost his wife and child and is affectionately known as the 'Turbaned Tornado'.

How do people like Fauja Singh do the impossible that cannot even be dreamt by the others? They've enormous grit and the will to do the extraordinary. Like John F Kennedy had said long ago when climbing Everest had become the latest fad among people after Tenzing and Hillary had scaled it for the first time, "people climb the Everest because it's there".



2. Formula 1 in India.

The sport is in India at long last. Three cheers for it! I remember having watched the spectacular movie 'Grand Prix' so many times(I've lost count really) as the sport has a unique appeal!

No, I'm not even for a second, joining the debate as to whether a poor country like ours can afford to waste money on the rich man's game of fast cars!

How I wish it had come earlier because it's all about speed, more speed and still more speed!!



Tailpiece.

I was waiting for the lift at the ground floor of my building when Ameeta, a young lady, who's having an exhibition of her paintings in the city shortly, came in to give me the invite for the event. In the excitement, she'd dropped her BlackBerry which disintegrated into three pieces. As I helped her in retrieving the dismembered cellphone, she tells me that this is what the white uniform does to her always!

I was pleased as Punch. Am I being narcissistic?  

No comments:

Post a Comment