Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Apologies yet again.

I was on the move, again, for the past two days and had to spend a great amount of time in areas which had, at best, a very patchy coverage. Hence, I could not update my posts. I suppose, I need to be tech savvy with smarter tools for accomplishment!


Dateline 18 Jun.

An elderly lady - she was 89 and ailing for the past month - in our extended family had passed away and we'd gone to offer our condolences. The journey, for a fairly long stretch(about 10 km), was through a single lane, country road and I shall outline two incidents that happened during the occasion - the first one was on the road itself during the onward drive and the latter was on reaching our destination.

I was trying to make a good speed and wanted to be back home before sunset and was pushing my Cruze through 'impossible' speeds on the narrow pathway. Luckily, the traffic was sparse and I'd no vehicle to reckon with. But the idyllic situation was short lived and I'd to negotiate past a bus of the road transport corporation with a cyclist coming in from the opposite direction.

I experienced 'akrasia' - the urge to do something, fully knowing that the end is gonna be disastrous! I'd negotiated the narrow path but heard a distinct thud on the left side of my car - I'd touched the bus and felt bad, almost immediately, for having been a bit too hasty. I'd not mind getting hit on my person, but my car, no way - it's a different ballgame! And I didn't want to upset the others with my foul mood. So, on reaching our destination, after letting the others disembark, I'd an inspection of the affected side. Thankfully, it was the front left tyre that had taken the impact and there was hardly any damage except for a blotch of paint on it!! I'd never felt relieved ever before.

I was in this 'euphoric' condition as I followed my folks into the house. We sat in their verandah and had begun the conversation when I noticed my niece trying to tell me that I should remove my glasses. It was then that I realised that I was wearing my goggles and removed it hastily. To the others, I must have resembled a person having a 'red eye'. These days, I switch over from goggles to spectacles while I drive, depending on the weather and as I'd entered the house, I'd forgotten that I'd my dark glasses on thanks to the excitement of having escaped the mishap on the road, unscathed!

Or is it that dementia is really setting in?



Tailpiece.


Our condolences were offered to the family and in the process, came to know as to how she kept track of each one's progress in life and that she's particularly fond of me after our first interaction, during Rema's wedding. I'm humbled. RIP Kallada amma!  

No comments:

Post a Comment