Saturday, June 2, 2012

Dateline 01 Jun.

Prologue.

I'm on a trip to Gavi - the new hot destination thanks to the Malayalam movie, 'Ordinary' that was a superhit. Shall fill in on the details as soon as I finish my journey.

The experience.

We'd kicked off at 8 in the morning, from Kochi with Bashir as our 'saarthi', in a tempo traveller and the group consisted of eight of us. The excitement was palpable as the journey was meticulously planned by my cousin after doing a lot of research! A word about the place, 'Gavi'. It's a small hamlet in the forest adjacent to the Periyar Game Reserve and was an unknown factor until recently, when the movie 'Ordinary' covering the story of its people who depended on the state road transport corporation's lone bus service that serviced the area -  it stopped at all points to pick up or drop passengers and hence classified 'ordinary' and was the only form of communication with the outside world - had hit the screens.

The movie was a smash hit and had set the cash registers ringing. Overnight, the Malayalees have been making a beeline to see the place and we, too, happened to be one among the curious ones.

We'd halted at Springdale at Vandiperiyar, enroute. The manager of the resort, Sai Gopinath, is an affable gentleman who took great pains to look after the guests and put them at ease. I'm sure it's gonna be popular thanks to his conduct, dedication to the job at hand and genuineness. I would also like to add that he's won his battle against the dreaded cancer which had affected a part of his brain, rendering his speech to slur because of a permanent damage to the connected nerve!


Tailpiece.

I felt like a heel when I'd come to know of Sai's personal story because, at the beginning, I was convinced that he was inebriated, while on duty and did not give much credence to his persona. Just goes to show as to how much I need to grow up in life! Apologies, Sai, for my wrong perception!!

PS.

And tomorrow, we shall spend the whole day at Gavi!

No comments:

Post a Comment