Tuesday, June 5, 2012

A sad case.

This evening, I was confronted with a difficult and ugly situation on being the president of the residential association. It was a case of wife battering and the lady had come out of her house badly bruised and crying, seeking immediate succour. The husband, on the other hand, was advising me to stay away from the mess, saying that she was mentally not sound.

The things that struck me were the following:-
      (a) the lady seemed to be cognitive, coherent and logical. She looked far from being a mental case.
      (b) she was badly bruised with blood trickling from the wounds on her elbows and was in deep pain.
      (c) she looked quite young compared to her husband.
      (d) throughout the incident she spoke a rustic Hindi (was it a marriage of convenience, I mean, a well off
           guy marrying a poor girl, I wonder).
      (e) his mother also happened to be at the house(was the misdemeanour carried out with her connivance?)
           If the answer's affirmative, what's the reason?

I think I'm crazily veering to the script writer in me and frankly, it's none of my business to be snoopy. But I could feel a deep sense of rage sweeping all over me and had to use all the powers, under my command, to control my emotions.


My take.

What's the use of carrying on with a relationship if it has ended or lost its meaning? How can one bring one's partner to submission using brute force? Shouldn't a mother stop her son from doing a wrong thing? The right thing would be to have the relationship annulled legally and release the lady to lead her own dignified life!


Tailpiece.

Couldn't sleep a wink as I was seething with anger and sleep was hard to come by. 


PS.

The matter has been reported to his seniors in the organisation and I've offered the couple the services of my cousin, an advocate, for counselling.  

No comments:

Post a Comment