Saturday, June 30, 2012

On being in the news.

The month of June has been hectic. The first fortnight encompassed our visit to Pune in pursuit of renewing old relationships and go on a nostalgic trip through the portals of my alma mater, the National Defence Academy. The experience was fantastic and on a very personal level, I could cement existing relationships further but I must hasten to add that the intensity or rather, the cooling down of the ones that I thought were everlasting was another lesson learnt in life!

The third week saw me driving a few hundred miles between Kochi, Kottarakkara and Thiruvananthapuram in connection with my grandfather's remembrance day and the alumni day of my school. It was again about interaction with people and the beginning of new partnerships! In between, my organisation had to go through the paces of an administrative inspection by a superior which of course, went off well.

It was towards the end of the 'Vaayana Vaaram', that Roy - a youngster from school and an admirer of your's truly- put his friend, the resident editor of a national daily to collect reminiscences that I've about my grandfather and consequently, I figured in the columns of the newspaper for the whole of last week through the district-wise editions of the daily. Roy'd, further, uploaded the interview on the school website and my phone has been ringing ever since with calls from friends and well wishers.

So much so, that I was the most sought after guy at a wedding reception this evening and had people trying to get more, about my grandfather, from me. I was quite amused with this newfound, yet surely shortlived celebrity status of mine and must admit, felt thoroughly uncomfortable with all the attention.

I still believe in what I told almost all of them that they're congratulating 'the accident of my birth' in being related to a legend who'd become great by his deeds. I've done nothing as yet but yes, would like to be known for my deeds too and then have people say, "It's only in the fitness of things that he's been pursuing what he is because he's his grandfather's grandson"! 

And yes, I'm proud to be the legendary PN Panicker's grandson!!

No comments:

Post a Comment