Sunday, December 30, 2012

Remembering dad.

The whole family had come down to our place to spend time and reminisce about dad on the occasion of his first remembrance day, as per the Malayalam calendar.

Lunch was boisterous but had a few glitches as a few dishes seemed to be missing. I'd taken the blame on two counts, viz :-
   
     (a) Had put implicit faith upon the service providers to do their job well. But cross checks need to be
           resorted to as it has become the norm and I'd not done that as I thought I shouldn't interfere.
     (b) They'd all come down, from their busy schedules, to be party to this get together based on my  
           invitation and the glitches looked as though it was meant to belittle them!

But the folks were graceful, saying that for them to be with us on the occasion was of the highest priority
while food, etc were incidental. Wonder whether they'd said that to mollify me?

But what really bowled me were the eulogies that were paid out for dad. The gist was that dad had endeared himself to everyone by his disarmingly simple outlook. I'm appending a few of the anecdotes shared:-

      (a) Mom... I miss him all the time but I can feel his presence, here around me.
      (b) Kurup kochachan...To me, he was big brother and whenever I'd any major decisions to take, I used
           to consult him.
      (c) Maman... I used to look forward to his visits to our house as a kid because it was always a festive
           occasion with my mom making his favourite dishes. And he used to get gifts for everyone of us.
      (d) Indira kunjamma....He used to be very considerate and didn't like to bother me while he stayed
           overnight at our place. He used to ask me to have his morning coffee put into a flask the previous
           night, at his bedside.
      (e) Sree kochachan.....He was a thorough gentleman and a man of principles.
   

It went on and on and people weren't even bothered by the time that was being spent on the programme. And as I'd set the ball rolling with my reminiscences, there was a clamour to know more from me even though I used to interject in between with thoughts that came my way.


Tailpiece.

 I'd advanced the cake cutting ceremony on account of my mom's birthday that falls on 01 Jan. Her special day of 2012 was not celebrated as my dad had passed away, the previous day.    

No comments:

Post a Comment