Monday, December 10, 2012

The ignominious flight of a guileless chicken.

A senior had visited me this morning and walked the talk. There was a fruitful exchange of ideas and suggestions to improve the quality of work, further.

After the visit there was the customary lunch at a designated place. Strained nerves had been soothed, there were no more anxious moments, in fact, they'd become a thing of the past and a general feeling of having pulled it off well, rent the air. What followed was a never ending round of handshakes, lots of back thumping and boisterous bonhomie when chilled beer flowed in unlimited supply. Since there was a classmates' get together in the evening, I was in my best behaviour and consequently, nursed a mocktail - 'Virgin Mary'( a 'Bloody Mary' minus the vodka) and made the usual polite conversation.

And soon, it was time for lunch and having collected the food, I sat at a table and commenced eating without much ado, as the menu - English food - was something that I'm fond of. But disaster lay in store for me. I'd forked a piece of boneless chicken dipped in red sauce to deposit it into my mouth, but the defiant guy had other plans. It took flight and I could only watch, helplessly, the way it traversed through my white uniform making a coloured wake all through till it fell harmlessly, on the chair between my legs. The rest of the lunch was had listlessly as my enthusiasm had dwindled. I'd gone to the washroom and tried cleaning the colourful blotches with water which gave unsatisfactory results! And, therefore, I'd to parade around with the new 'medal' that I'd picked up, much to my consternation.


Tailpiece.

(a) I'd to go home and change into another uniform before attending the next function to avoid further embarrassment.

(b) The evening's backwater cruise that I'd organised for my class mates was okay but for a few of them ditching the event at the last moment. It was again a throwback in time when most of us exercised our vocal cords to belt out old numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment