Wednesday, June 18, 2014

At Thiruvananthapuram.

We'd set off from home by 0730h and I'd taken the longer route via Thrissur. Since we'd passed the town by 8, the traffic was tame and I could hit the highway without any loss of time. And thankfully, the rains didn't spoil the fun of driving but I can anticipate an acute shortage of electricity in the state because of poor monsoons.

I'd driven over 250 kms on the NH 47 before cutting into the state highway through the Kayamkulam - Punalur road. The road was comparatively better but sadly there's an increase in the number of potholes and by the time the monsoons are gonna be over, it would be a nightmare to drive on the highways - a situation that's all too familiar that gives an excuse for the politician-bureaucrat-contractor nexus to make quick money off the state's exchequer!

By the time I'd done the remaining 100 odd kms, it was teatime and after a quick cuppa, we'd headed to my toothy. As usual, she was efficiency personified and told me in no uncertain terms that she wasn't happy with the standard of my oral hygiene compared to what it was during my previous visit. I'd accepted the rebuke with the utmost seriousness it deserved though I'd apologised to her for not having brushed my teeth before the visit! And I didn't want to give the alibi of having driven the whole day prior to the appointment!!

Within a matter of a little over an hour she'd got back my dentures in sparkling shape. It was a pleasure, as always, to be interacting with her and nice to hear her personal thoughts, her motherly concerns about her li'l daughter's evolution and the tremendous love that she has for her mom and brothers.

I'd sum it as time well spent and regretfully, didn't charge me a penny for all the hard work that she'd put in.


Tailpiece.

Mom and Lekha seemed to be quite okay after the long drive thanks to the halts in between for breaks. The trend is gonna be the same for the long journey over the next ten days!  

No comments:

Post a Comment