Sunday, June 8, 2014

The grandfather clock's ticking and other trivia......

Rains have become the order of the day, the unbearable heat has subsided and the monsoon-related issues have begun to prop up. But what the hell, it's fun to watch the rains and for me, it's become a convenient tool to blame the rains for putting off things! I could squeeze in my walk this evening despite the threatening and menacing dark clouds. And so, let me now take you through some trivia:-

 (a) The grandfather clock.

 Ever since its setting up, it has shown a propensity to lose time and gets to be approximately 25' late
 over the period pf a week. The service engineer had instructed me as to how I should reduce the length
 of the pendulum to reverse the trend and it's been a laborious toil but I seem to have hit the right note!
 Probably, all it required was an acclimatisation of sorts and I've also come to grapple the vexed issue
 of the chimes going haywire, for no rhyme or reason!

 (b) The kitten has been taken away.

 I'd talked about a canine visitor a few days back and after our recent trip to Kochi for Lekha's medical
 review, much to my angst I realised that the vociferous kitten was neither to be heard nor seen. Fearing
 the worst I'd queried a few of the people who frequent our area about its whereabouts when Kannan,
 the head of the scavenging team, told me that he'd taken it away as his pet. I can't mention the tremendous
 relief that I got on hearing that bit of news!

 (c) The kitchen garden now has a shape.

 I'd Pushpakaran, a farm labourer, employed for the forenoon to do up the nascent kitchen garden and
 boy, he has done a wonderful job prompting my neighbour to ask me as to how I'd managed to rope
 in his services as he was quite withdrawn and rarely took up work other than for the household which
 has been looking after the sustenance of his family for the last 30 years or so. I'd actually spoken to the
 89 year old patriarch a couple of days back who'd readily agreed to release the guy.

 The plants have now been pruned and provided with supports, wild and unwanted growth has been
 weeded out and the overhead branches of the neighbourhood tree that came in the way of the upward
 trajectory of the drumstick plants and the banana tree have been pruned! It's a thoroughly professional
 effort!!

 I've told him that I've handed over the care of the kitchen garden to him and that he should do the needful
 as and when required! To which he lowered his head, smiled and had, then, nodded!!


Tailpiece.

The Asha Parekh episode on the 'Total Recall' and the 'Gaata rahe mera dil' from the movie, Guide on the
'Raag Rang' programme really made my day!


 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment