Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Hunger pangs made me erratic!

We'd kicked off from my chittamma's place soon after breakfast. Actually, we'd upset her schedule with the doctor because of our delayed departure. There were two minor jobs to be done and they could be accomplished only by 10 o'clock when the offices opened! She'd then got her appointment rejigged to the revised time slot.

By about a half past 10, we're on the highway clipping back to Guruvayur and my aim was to reach around lunchtime. The traffic was manageable and I was sure that the milestone could be achieved and therefore, decided to forego the tea break after getting the go ahead from mom and Lekha.

We reached the temple town by 1 and tried to squeeze in a few minor work like paying up the cable operator, buying grocery from the department store and some fruits from the regular vendor. And it was while stopping at the shop that a major tragedy could have taken place because of a thoughtless act on my part.

I'd brought my Chevy to a comfortable stop, out of the road and on to the muddy sidewalk beside the shop and had opened the door to get out. Actually, I'd seen a two wheeler coming from behind on the rear view mirror but had surmised that there was ample space for the riders to pass by. But that was not to be as the driver was talking to the pillion rider and was momentarily out of focus from his primary job of driving. In the process, he'd narrowly missed his pillion rider from being hit by my car door and in rage, he stopped his vehicle and started abusing me.

It was then that I apologised to them by way of my hand movements and walked towards them, eliciting puzzled looks on their faces and they'd scooted away, wonder why? Did the driver realise that he too had contributed to the close call? Perhaps, he did after all........ Or did I look menacingly aggressive? I don't think so, because I was in no mood to be that!


Tailpiece.

I should have taken that tea break as my mind had beckoned. A hungry stomach had made me erratic and a disaster was averted thankfully by the stars, of course!    

No comments:

Post a Comment