Friday, May 1, 2015

Back at 'The Quarterdeck'.

I'd actually planned to leave Raj Nivas by 0630h but could make it only by a 10 to 7. The journey was smooth as the traffic was okay and there weren't many long stoppages, except for the usual bottlenecks. The weather was blazing hot and we'd two breaks at our favourite haunts for breakfast and lunch. By the time we reached home it was a half past 2 and we did have a surprise - a pleasant one though - in store.

Ramesh and his assistant, Muniappa were busy at work on the small grassy patch in our courtyard. Actually, he'd called us about a couple of hours earlier and it was decided that he'd come back tomorrow when we'd be at home. The gate was locked and when asked, he said that they'd jumped over the wall to finish up the job at my place as the necessary implements were on their person. Though I didn't approve of the manner in which they'd entered the premises - it gives wrong ideas to the others, you see! - I was relieved that another job, on my slop chit, was being completed.

The added advantage was that Muniappa had helped me in washing down my car. The unpacking and the settling down took up the reminder of the afternoon. Even though we'd encountered rain at every place that we'd visited over the previous week, it seems to have eluded Guruvayur almost completely. The customary evening walk was nice and as usual, many whom I happened to meet did register my long absence. I gather that I've started sticking out like a sore thumb, much to my discomfort - a situation that I wasn't craving for either!

Everything seemed to be in order except for the fact that the newspaper boy had not delivered the day's newspapers despite instructions. These small things have begun to irritate, though unnecessary, because a quick glance at any of the numerous news channels that are available will give one the latest bit of news that are making the headlines!


Tailpiece.

We're missing mom's presence - she's at Raj Nivas with my sister as there is a betrothal ceremony in the family on 06 May and we've to get back there by then - and realised that she has become an integral part of 'The Quarterdeck'.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment