Sunday, May 24, 2015

When the mind wanders.......

I was watching television today and one of the programmes consisted of songs from old movies - the ones that were hits and superhits during my childhood.

I was reminded of two of my friends who used to stoke my passion about films. Mind you, the time frame takes me back to my days in class III at the Holy Angels' Convent at Thiruvananthapuram during Autumn '63. Sidney Stephen, from Pettah, was my classmate and a good friend. He used to narrate a film's story, 'frame by frame' - how he knew that I loved every aspect of his narration is something that continues to baffle me even today. The patience that he displayed in retelling the stories to my satisfaction was touching. The Sathyan-Ambika starrer, 'Aadyakiranangal' was the first of so many movies that he'd narrated to me.

I think I can passably imitate Sydney in narration but how I wish I could meet him now and spend time with him and perhaps, hear him all over again for old times sake! He'd shifted to the St Joseph's High School while I was shifted to the Model High School in Autumn '65.

Another friend was Chandrasekhar, who was with me in class V at the Model School, again at Thiruvananthapuram. He'd another added quality of reading out from the comics, exclamatory marks et all. Tarzan's immortal 'kreegah.....bundolo..' comes readily to my mind along with the expressive face of Malayalam cinema's patriarch, Madhu's brother-in-law - yes, he's related to the actor!

The passion and exuberance about life were the biggest qualities in the both of them and no, I don't remember having seen them in low spirits, ever. I'm sure that they'd be possessing the same zest towards life with equal intensity, even now.

How I wish I could be with them now! Hey, Sydney and Chandrasekhar, where are you? I want to be with you guys. Am I asking for too much? God, pse do grant me my wish!


Tailpiece.

I'm using this forum to locate these friends of mine, both Trivandrumites! Help!!

PS.
Padmakumar and Achu dropped by in the evening and it was nice having them for company. By the time they'd reached back at their home, at Palakkad, it was a half past 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment