Monday, May 4, 2015

When my apology didn't work!

1. The state electricity board's local unit had told us through the newspapers that today there was gonna be a power shut down from 0900h to 1700h on account of maintenance work. They stuck to their schedule though the restoration took place beyond the announced time.I'd rushed with my Chevy to the nearest petrol bunk for topping up and checking tyre pressure as I was kicking off early morning for home.

2. The bunk was slowly getting to be crowded with vehicles and an IOC bowser was discharging its contents into the underground tanks of the bunk. Space was at a premium and maneuvering the vehicle needed Herculean effort. I'd parked my car next to the air dispenser and could persuade the young man at the counter to get the compressor on stream, have the tyre pressure checked and was negotiating my car towards the diesel dispenser when tragedy struck.

3. In the process of the maneuver, I managed to sandwich an elderly gentleman on his scooty between my car's front bumper and the petrol dispenser. I'd got out of my car quickly to ascertain as to whether the two wheeler had suffered any damage and to my relief, it didn't even have a scratch! On the other hand my car's number plate was bent.

4. And then the gentleman began to howl. I could understand his discomfort and promptly offered my unconditional apology hoping that he'd relent. By this time, the others were viewing me, I suppose, as the 'bully with the huge car'.

5. Suddenly I felt something snap within me and raising my voice above the din, I asked him to accept my apology or leave it and stop his tirade. My bluff did work as he quietly rode off from the scene.

6. I did feel bad because it was I who was in the wrong. But there didn't seem to be any other way out!


Tailpiece.

There was a total power failure in the evening during the thundershowers that followed. So much about the maintenance work of the day. Sadly, professionalism seems to be dwindling!

No comments:

Post a Comment