Monday, May 11, 2015

The pre-monsoon showers.

It was an early morning for us and my plan was to reach 'The Quarterdeck' by 9 o'cock so that I could finish up small jobs before Lekha's hospitalisation  on Wednesday. Accordingly, we'd set off from my sister's place by a quarter to 7. The roads were empty and slowly getting to be active but the almost continuous showers, all through the route, made driving with wipers a necessity. Thankfully, when we'd reached our home there was a lull in the rain and therefore, I could open the gate and guide the Chevy into the porch without having to use the umbrella, which I wasn't carrying anyways!

The first task was to invite my uncle and aunt who're at Guruvayur since last evening to celebrate his 60th birthday. At the cake cutting ceremony, a cousin of mine and his family had come by and they're the unscheduled visitors. Last week, when I was at home, they'd told me about their proposed visit to Guruvayur shortly but I never thought that it would be at so short a time frame. Their presence, however, did enhance the aura of the occasion.

The day was dull with a pitter patter, almost all day through. My work had to be postponed since people were coming and going. Had mom been here, she'd would have been the happiest to entertain the guests. The dynamics are mutual because all those who'd come by did express their regrets at not being able to meet her!

Towards evening, Madhu and Rekha had queried as to whether they could drop by as they're passing through Guruvayur. I'd to reluctantly drop my customary walk but the downpour, soon after, justified my decision and I felt smug at having taken the right one, for a change, if you please!

It was a pleasure to meet the family after so many years. Seeing Megha, their daughter and a dentist, presently practicing at Bombay, having transformed to a confident young lady from the bouncy one year old kid who used to groove to the number, 'Joomba, joomba' from the Mohanlal starrer, 'Naadodi' of yester years as we'd seen her last, was the highlight of the evening. Rahul, their son, is a confident young lad doing his graduation in 'Commerce-finance' at Bangalore! Madhu's sister was also in accompaniment, along with her children. We've been invited for her daughter, Aishwarya's wedding slated for 31 Aug.

Kudos to you, Madhu and Rekha, for having brought up your children with the finest of values and the best of traditions!


Tailpiece.

A day that saw a train of guests coming by. And yes, it was 'yesterday once more' with the continuous showers in the background!      

No comments:

Post a Comment