Sunday, July 12, 2015

Ejaz's cup of woes.

I go to the nearby parlour for my grooming - though, left to me I'd call it a simple and plain haircut with the luxury of a massage thrown in - twice a month. Having lived a naval life, even the slightest lengthening of the hair around my ears irritates me and hence the frequency. My mom wonders as to whether there was any hair at all to cut and consequently, feels that my visits to the parlour was financially favourable to its owner! She, has arrived at this conclusion thanks to my receding hairline and the sparse mop of hair on my head!!

This time my visit had gotten late because of Lekha's hospitalisation and surgery. Ejaz is the guy whom I prefer out of the lot because he's aware of a lot of things and maintains a conversation all through the exercise and most importantly, possesses a cheerful countenance. Tall, bespectacled and all of 33 years, he was working in a women's beauty parlour at Kochi before coming to work here.

After acquainting himself about the reasons for my delayed visit, he'd opened his heart about the mess in his family life. He'd married - about seven years back - to a fairly well educated girl and they've two sons. She's possessive of him and does not look upon favourably at the way he looks after his mom and kid sister. He admits that he too was short tempered and the relationship had seen a prolonged separation of three years as of date. From his looks - that I could glean from the massive mirror in front, during the narrative - I could see that he has decided to sever it at the earliest though he's unsure as to how he's gonna tackle the issue of the custody of his children.

He's currently in love with a girl from another religion and is in search of a house on rent for them to set up their home. The girl's mother is also keen to stay with them. The stumbling block seems to be two factors:-

         (a) When it comes to brass tacks, the local populace could be very touchy in matters of religion.
               An inter-religious marriage can get frowned upon and never get endorsed.
         (b) Seeking divorce from his wife of seven years who insists that she'd never let him go.


Tailpiece.

At an appropriate point of time the society will have to be taken into confidence so that Ejaz can lead a life of his own and live in peace!      

No comments:

Post a Comment