Thursday, July 9, 2015

The FTII imbroglio.

I've always looked at the Film and Television Institute of India(FTII) with awe and appreciation. During my days at the NDA in Pune, I'd a friend doing a course on cinematography at the haloed institute who used to drill into me the nuances of the art of film making, as she perceived it. Her approach and in depth knowledge about her subject were catalyst to my being a sort of a film buff subsequently. More about it later.

Coming back to the institute, I view it as a cradle for film makers. I must hasten to add that I've a few friends in the film industry, who've achieved greatness without having passed through the portals of this great institution which supports the argument that some among us have it in us - a genetic inheritance, perhaps - and therefore, do not require any formal training!.... The members of the institute used to entertain us - the cadets and the faculty of the NDA - every Autumn term, if my memory serves me right, for over two hours which was a heavenly experience!

The evergreen number, "Starry, starry night....." sung by a young lady in a glittering white gown - during such a performance, in my second term at the Academy - had got on to be one of my favourite numbers thanks to her voice and the sheer grandeur of its presentation. And there are many such lingering memories!

So, when I read about the present imbroglio - which has gone on for over a month, unfortunately - it saddens me immensely. For the uninitiated, the students and the faculty of the FTII are protesting against the appointment of Mr. Gajendra Chauhan (Yudhishthir, of the Mahabharatha) as the Chairperson of the Institute because they're of the opinion that he doesn't have the stature to be the head of the Institute. None of the concerned parties seem to be in any mood to compromise and to make matters worse, a few veterans have also voiced their support in favour of the students and the faculty.

Being a well wisher of the Institute, I've the following queries to each of the warring parties of the imbroglio:-

      (a) The students and the faculty of the Institute. Since when does the appointing authority - in
            this case, the government of India - take an institution's endorsement for the appointment
            of its head? 
      (b) The Government of India. Isn't it time to make the FTII autonomous? The creative field
            must be given freedom in pursuit of their skills. 
      (c) The famed veterans. You're respected for your achievements and you're also aware of the
            fact that every individual in the creative field needs to be respected for his contributions.
           Your opinions count and therefore, your utterances need to be above board, they should not
           belittle anyone from your flock whatever be his/her credentials. 
      (d) Mr. Gajendra Chauhan. If I were you, I wouldn't like to sit on that chair. Would you still
            like to adorn an appointment when the entire institution is against it?


Tailpiece.

It's my fervent wish that the disputing parties got on to the negotiating table to arrive at an early way out.

PS.

I'd like to present just a couple of nuggets from what I'd gleaned from my cinematographic friend:-

  (a) In 'Swayamvaram', the camera initially focuses on two guys speaking to each other. And
        through this conversation, they go away from the audience. The camera continues to pan
        them and finally the viewer is left watching only their lip movements, the conversation having
        gone beyond earshot! Adoor Gopalakrishnan was commended for his attention to details!!

  (b) In 'Elipathayam', one of the initial shots was of a guy running with a rat in the trap to the 
        nearby river to kill the animal by drowning and there's a distinct background score that goes
        along with the scene. The same music is played when the villagers take the head of the Nair                 family - in a fit of rage at his lethargy and self preservation - to the riverside, towards the
        end of the movie.

PPS.
Frankly speaking I don't have the patience to go into such minute aspects of film making while watching one!   

       

No comments:

Post a Comment