Thursday, March 10, 2016

Adieu Captain Matloob Aslam Khan sir.

This evening I received a call from Jeetender, who was with me in the same directorate at the NHQ, about his impending promotion to the managerial cadre of the bank that he was working for. And then he queried as to whether I was aware of the fact that Captain MA Khan had passed away a few months back, a fact that he'd come to know through his Facebook site. It came as a rude shock due to two reasons viz.
    (a) In these days of all pervasive communication, how come I didn't get the info?
    (b) He was to come to the Rajah Ayurvedic spa, out here, once his lungs got all right and I was
          waiting for his son's call accordingly.

I've since sent a mail to his son, Minhaj to recount the great soul's last days but I still can't believe that he isn't amidst us, any more.

I'd come across him for the first time, in Jun '00, when I joined the Directorate of Contracts and Cost Management at the Naval Headquarters, New Delhi. He was miles senior to me but before long, he'd taken a liking for me and taken me under his wings. He was very protective about me and though he rarely visited others' houses, he used to drop by at our place frequently. Between the two of us, we managed the affairs of the directorate, so much so, that everyone who'd queries on anything that concerned contracts and related issues, would approach either him or me. We knew the tremendous responsibility that was thrust upon us on that account.

He used to tell me about his concerns and apprehensions and I remember the satisfaction on his face when Lekha and I'd called on him at the Base Hospital, where he was admitted for a third surgery for Hernia. We used to go by the check off list that we'd compiled on his daughter, Safia's wedding, my character certificate for his grandson who was a mere three months old for his passport, Lekha and me being part of his son, Minhaj's wedding 'baaraat' to Aligarh, his impending retirement....the list was endless. Even after retirement, he used to come and sit with me at my office, quite eager to interact with me and his family felt happy that at least he'd remain peppy so long as he was with me!

How can I forget the numerous times that he'd provided us with scrumptious home cooked food at the directorate? Every summer, he used to get a sackful of the tastiest mangoes from his orchard at Bulandshahr and took a personal delight in cleaning, cutting the fruits and feeding each one of us.

Truly, a noble soul! RIP, Khan sir. There can never be anyone like you. My salute, prayers and tears. Here's wishing that your family gets the strength to pass through these stressful times.


Tailpiece.

The last time that I'd met him was when I'd gone in connection with a Move Conference at New Delhi in '12. He was insistent that I stayed with him at his elegantly made house at Nizamuddin. The way he and his family had looked after me during those two days cannot be described in mere words. While having dinner at the Saravana Bhavan at Connaught Place on the penultimate day, it took me a tough time to explain that the outing was on me. His words, "Rajeev, whenever you're to come to New Delhi, you'll stay with us." On my return, I realised that I'd forgotten a couple of small things at his place and when I'd told him about it, his answer was on expected lines, "At least I know that you'll come back here soon."

I never knew that that would be our last meeting!

No comments:

Post a Comment