Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Back at 'The Quarterdeck'.

Maman broke the sad news of Viji chechi's passing away early in the morning. After being bedridden for 41/2 years, her condition had worsened last week with her doctor saying that it would be better for her to pass on. And the end came about five days after her admission into a hospital at Kottayam. I was reminded of my last visit to her, in between the 'yatra' of last year, when she'd promised me that she'd visit Guruvayur once she begins to walk and that remains a dream. Her younger daughter's wedding is scheduled to take place on 05 May!

Maman and I'd kicked off from home by a half past 9. There was some work to be done enroute before we fetched up at the Foundation. The Chathannoor organisation was reviewed, certain finer directives were, consequently, issued and the pay cheques signed - my director's signatures are required for their operationalisation and I'd signed them before he'd affixed his - to avoid delay due to my non-availability!

And then I'd come across the 46 year old, tough Jayasree. She'd come to my Maman in search of a job. Two years back, she was on every newspaper because her husband, along with his brother, had thrown her out of the house along with her differently abled child. The reason? She did not offer herself to her brother-in-law! She has been doing odd jobs like that of a domestic help/ a scavenger but she couldn't remain at one place and pursue the job because the society wasn't willing to accept her. I'd helped her draft out an application, seeking the job of a salesgirl in one of the khadi garment outlets that we franchise. It's our hope that she, along with her elder sister - working as a domestic help - would be able to eke out a living and look after the medical requirements of her son.

A quick bite of lunch and I was off to Guruvayur by the Jan Shatabdi at 1430h. The journey was uneventful and for a change, the train kept its tryst with time! Meanwhile, Viji chechi's funeral took place around 1630h at Kottayam and I'd mentally noted that we'll make a visit with mom, within the weekend, to offer our condolences!

The Thrissur-Guruvayur bus could be boarded without much wait soon after I'd gotten out of the railway station and I was back at 'The Quarterdeck', in time for supper. Mom and Lekha, listened attentively to my debrief.

It's yet another task achieved!


Tailpiece.

Mom's doctor is going under the surgeon's knife for Hernia and he's slated to be back at work on the 14th. Her review will, therefore take place only thereafter. Called him up to wish a speedy recovery and wasn't he thrilled?

       

No comments:

Post a Comment