Monday, March 21, 2016

From Kayankulam to Guruvayur.

The morning had begun on a wrong note - the water motor had packed up and water was at a premium. I made a few trips to the old house before getting a slot as the whole family, including the extended, were in a feverish pitch of getting ready for the occasion. Finally, by a quarter past 9, we'd set for 'Camelot', where the wedding was to take place.

It was almost a two hour run where one was bogged down by the beginning-of-the-week throng of people and traffic. Meanwhile, we'd made contact with my maman and his family who'd come down from Thiruvananthapuram and were at the government guest house for a wash and change. It was maman's birthday, too, as per the Malayalam calendar.

Met almost the entire family at the wedding. Devadas, my class mate from school and Rajam, his wife were part of the girl's gang and much to our thrill, realised that we'd become relatives by virtue of this wedding......the world is really small! Indira kunjamma's luggage - she'd travelled with us on the onward leg - was handed over to her daughter while my sister's was put into the boot, instead.

By a half past 12, we'd set off for Guruvayur. The journey was uneventful but for a prang that my Chevy had - while I backed and touched an iron pole in the process - short of Kodungalloor. My carelessness for sure and I was beginning to feel terribly sleepy!

We reached 'The Quarterdeck' short of 5, Rema made tea for all of us and soon after tea, she and Padmakumar had set off for Palakkad by one of the private buses plying on the route. Unpacking was completed along with the opening up of the house in quick succession.

The evening was quiet and it was a comparatively early evening.


Tailpiece.

The end of another outing and now, I'm told that I will have to be back at Kottarakkara, this Friday! So, yet another journey looming large! 

No comments:

Post a Comment