Friday, November 4, 2016

Adieu, Bobby Bhandoola sir!

Captain Suresh 'Bobby' Bhandoola was my commanding officer on board the submarine depot ship, INS Amba where I was posted between Jun and Dec '81. I got a mail this morning saying that he'd passed into the mist of time at the naval hospital, Asvini at Bombay on account of prostate cancer, for which, he was under prolonged treatment!

......I was transported, in time and space, to the bridge top of Amba and remembered him to be a chain smoker, the '555' being his favourite brand and he'd an inimitable style of his own! The three of us viz. the Captain, then Lt Rajan George, the cool-as-a-cucumber navigator and your's truly, the N2(Navigator 2) used to be there during the entering/leaving harbour evolutions and between the three of us, had ensured that they were carried out with elan and no panic, whatsoever, while maneuvering the hulk of a ship that was Amba and she had sailed extensively during that period.

She had also become the sea training ship for the cadets, embarked from INS Mysore as that ship was awaiting her decommissioning and the ultimate move to the scrap yard!

The ship was headed for her first foreign cruise of the season to Sri Lanka and Male along with Dunagiri and enroute, we'd a camp for the cadets on the island of Anjadip, after carrying out gunfire support exercise on it at dawn. I and four of my cadets were tasked to 'attack' the camp and we could carry it out successfully by taking a never expected approach, clawing through barnacled rocks and inflicting gashes on our hands, in the bargain. And before we left the island on our southerly course, the cadets had painted 'Amba '81' with white paint on the rock face - its highest point - that was visible for miles, seaward. I must put on record in this narrative the encouragement and support given by our Executive officer, then Commander Vimal Kumar. As we cast off, on seeing the graffiti, the 'ole man had tapped my shoulder and given me a 'thumbs up' sign!

The captain was impressed by us - Shiroor, Thampi and your's truly - and did tell us in so many words as we went sight seeing in Sri Lanka in a Datsun station wagon, courtesy Shiroor's brother and made our purchases. Consequently, he used to take us along for the trips to the picturesque Maldivian islands as part of the sight seeing tours! He used to come into the bridge during night watches to hear our banter on the intercom!!  

We'd entered the beautiful harbour of the Maldives group of islands and anchored between the islands that had its airport and the other, which was its capital. It was while anchoring that we'd noticed that the other ships had their colours(flags) flying at half mast and it was followed by us as per maritime traditions and customs. On inquiry, it was revealed that it was on account of the assassination of Anwar Sadat, the then President of Egypt, while he was reviewing the republic day parade at Cairo, that morning!

I remember him hugging me twice, the first time on the last night at Male, in appreciation of the tasks achieved thus far and the second time, for pulling him out of the way of a bobbing, maritime gunfire range at the Andrea bank - somewhere in the Arabian Sea - that was in the process of being connected up to be towed back to harbour, for repairs.

I'd just spent about seven months on board when I got my marching orders to take over as a Directing Staff at the NDA. I was in a dilemma, in that, I was happy to go back to my Alma Mater but sad at having to leave the ship so soon and I'd conveyed it to the 'ole man. His reply, "Listen son, the Naval Headquarters had given me an option of sending you as the Flag Lieutenant to an admiral or to the Academy as a Directing Staff and I recommended the latter. I and my wife will visit the Academy and be your guests!" And that was that!! I bid farewell to the ship in Dec '81 to take up my new appointment.

RIP, Captain Bobby Bhandoola, sir! My farewell salute to a fine Captain and here's wishing that your family has the strength to tide over these stressful times!!


Tailpiece.

Three months later, he'd carried out his promise of visiting the Academy with Mrs. Janki Bhandoola, a gracious lady and a fine human being!

PS.
(a) Had gone to Nandiyode panchayat, this morning, to attend a function organised by Vijayakumar, who had worked with Muthachhan during the literacy movement. More than 1,500 ladies had participated in the meeting, initiating them into skill development!

(b) Looked up Indira kunjamma this evening. Though she looks cheerful and active, she has not regained her original weight. Kripu's woes are under control. Met Jishnu, Suresh's nephew, who has begun a start up venture - Medipicky - with two of his seniors. It can put you on to any doctor as per your requirement for the illness that you're ailing from.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment