Tuesday, November 15, 2016

To the service station.

As per bookings done earlier, I'd taken my Chevy to the servicing station this morning, my first visit out there after the passing away of mom. Enroute, I'd got the PUC(Pollution Under Control certificate) for the vehicle which was overdue for over two months as I had missed out on it completely - a mistake that was mine! I cannot be giving excuses for my tardiness, can I?

Prasobh and Manikandan, the two youngsters at the servicing station closely associated with my Chevy, were at hand and I'd listed out the points that needed checking and correction. The replacement of the brake pads missed out during the last servicing due to the absence of spares in their stock will be undertaken this time and the whole exercise is gonna cost me about Rs.10 grand. Manikandan had, later, dropped me at the nearest bus stand from where I'd hopped on to a private bus for my return.

There were many banks on the roadside and as my bus passed by, what struck me was there were no more crowds in front of them, as was the case for the whole of last week. Was it that everyone in the neighbourhood had deposited the demonetised notes in their possession and were, now, in possession of the requisite denominations to carry on with their lives? On disembarking at the eastern entrance of the temple, I'd stopped by at the chemist, that I frequent, and its friendly proprietor had this to say of the existing situation, "Sir, the people can be divided into two groups - the ones that spend their money restricting to the buying of medicines, vegetables, grocery and fish/meat and the others who splurge lavishly on purchases and expensive eateries! Obviously, the latter is trying to dump the huge collection of demonetised currency which, surprisingly, is being accepted by many vendors". It was an interesting input.

Wonder how the shops that continue to accept the old currency would dispose of their collections, which as per existing government orders, they aren't permitted? There's another phenomenon that's being followed - actually, it's an extension of the earlier point - wherein, the customer collects his requirement against the old denomination deposited with the vendor. No balance is given and the customer would be lucky if he's able to buy stuff equal to the original value of the note!

And a hearsay - it was during my evening walk that I heard a conversation in a shop where one of the customers had brandished a bundle of fresh notes @ Rs.2 lakhs, sometime earlier. How was that possible though we, Indians, are known to circumvent a system by devising means through our devious thinking? Was he able to do it with the connivance of the bank authorities or through multiple cash exchanges?

Anyway, we can expect a lot of 'tamasha' from tomorrow when the combined opposition takes on the government on the demonetisation issue!


Tailpiece.

My sister, Rema, had arrived from Palakkad a trifle after teatime. She and Lekha had gone to the temple around a quarter to 9 for praying at the 'Ekadasi vilakku'. Anto was called in to convey them to the venue.




No comments:

Post a Comment