Monday, October 2, 2017

A dash to Raj Nivas.

It was a decision taken on a whim but the reasons were as follows:-

     (a) The caretaker has been urging me to have a look at the quality of work done. Continuous rains
           had resulted in an overgrowth of weeds and consequently, a thick undergrowth. It was sad to
           see the wild creepers that were twisting and weighing down the rubber saplings.
     (b) I wanted to have a tete-e-tete with my parents who were resting there.
     (c) The uniform application of the natural fertiliser, cow dung along with other appropriate man
           made ones had to be finalised and the plan, put into effect.
     (d) Since the 2nd was a holiday, I expected less crowd in the public transportation.
     (e) The return reservation was confirmed.

Since it was the continuation of a string of holidays, getting people and services turned out to be difficult. My regular auto rick guy, Anto, was returning from a pleasure trip in Palakkad and therefore, wasn't available. The other two, whose numbers we had, refused to respond......perhaps, they're busy! And I decided to drive to the railway station in my Chevy, park it there and return in it on completion of the trip. I was not fully happy about parking it there because of the chances of damages being inflicted by other vehicles and it would also have to stand the harsh weather, for the whole day, as the parking area wasn't a covered shelter.

Had got up at a quarter past 4, went through the chores and was ready by a half past 5. Armed with a folding umbrella because it was raining all through the night but had, thankfully, taken a break as I was casting off, breakfast rustled up by Lekha along with six bananas(Catering for breakfast, tea break and lunch, you see), a bottle of drinking water, a change consisting of a shirt and vest and reading material, I'd driven past the second gate when I realised that I'd forgotten my cellphone and charger. I'd gone running back to fetch them and continued the drive and reached the railway station about seven minutes later. After parking the vehicle and collecting the parking ticket, I'd joined up the long queue, left with just another seven minutes to go for the train's departure. People jumping the queue were irritants but I could get my ticket without much delay and cut through the railway tracks to get onto the third platform, to board the train. As I found a window side single seat and plonked myself into it, the train had begun to move out of the station.....it was, thus, a touch and go sort of a situation!

Completely upsetting my assumption, the train was full of people but it was not packed as it would have been, on a working day. The journey was uneventful and I reached the destination at 1400 hrs where the caretaker was waiting with the auto rickshaw - my phone was on its last leg of charge as the train's carriage was of vintage and consequently, did not have charging points! Earlier, breakfast was had at Ernakulam Town around a quarter past 8 and lunch, at Kollam by a half past 1. On fetching up at Raj Nivas, without much ado, I had gone into the rubber plantation and could not but marvel at the beautiful work done by the 23 men @ Rs.700/- per day. Two labourers, Unni and Philip, were still on the grind, sorting out the last patch of unkempt growth.

I did spend time at my parents' resting place and updated them about the purpose of my visit and the duration of stay. The caretaker, the lead worker and I, then, discussed and finalised the subsequent activities that were to be carried out within the coming week. After a quick wash and a change of clothes, I was off for Kollam by bus but not before having a piping hot mug of tea, from the caretaker's house! The Intercity Express to Guruvayur was on time and by 1840 hrs, I was on my return journey, satisfied with the day's proceedings. I'd sufficient reading material from the book stall on the platform. Met Suresh, an ex-cashier at the Guruvayur SBI and also, befriended his wife and as they're getting off at Aluva waved a hearty goodbye.



Tailpiece.

There was no rain anywhere, enroute and Lekha had confirmed that Guruvayur had also not had rain throughout the day, except for the early morning downpour. Pushpaakaran, had fetched up for the half yearly spring cleaning! 

No comments:

Post a Comment