Saturday, October 21, 2017

How technology teased me yet again!

The modem that I use for working on the internet has become erratic, off late. I mean, it wasn't getting switched on. I tried all methods by switching it off and on a few times, changing the plug positions on the socket and yet, nothing seemed to work. It was essential as I've another disaster staring at me - the dongle, that I have, has been misplaced.

I tried recapitulating the events when I'd used the dongle last and narrowed it down to two occasions - the first, when I'd used it at Suresh's place on the night after we'd returned from our trip and the second, at 'The Quarterdeck' on reaching here, though that was very vague because there was no cause of using it. Was my mind playing tricks? Or have I begun to have a memory failure?

A quick check with Suresh, on the telephone, confirmed that the damn thing wasn't there but he's promised me about checking it out more thoroughly along with his wife, later.

Meanwhile, on my foray into the town, I looked around for buying a new one. The shopkeepers - two of them, while being very respectful - seemed to tell me that I was a bit 'ancient' for the technology but my queries did stump them and I found that they're totally clueless about the stuff that they're selling! They needed a comparative youngster to articulate and here, too, I found that the knowledge was limited. They use technical words that they weren't sure of and went in for lengthy discourses.

So, I decided to call up Jishad, who'd helped me to set up my wi-fi system initially, almost four years back. He'd answered my call and was at my place soon after. I'd taken him to the spot where the object that gave me nightmares, currently, was. He snapped on the switches and presto, everything seemed to be working perfectly! Now what do I say to that?

I could only look at Jishad with an apologetic sheepishness and reserved my dirty looks for the system at a later occasion.



Tailpiece.

Come to think of it, I really wanted that system that I've tended well, all this while, to fail in front of Jishad! Can you beat that?

No comments:

Post a Comment