Tuesday, November 28, 2017

A memorable afternoon.

The day had begun on a quiet note because the Airtel dish services had gone for a toss since last evening during the heavy rains. The morning was dull and gray which made things look gloomy. Lekha and I went through our chores and I was ready by a half past 10. Sasi had got caught in a traffic snarl but he'd brought Jayachandran, the Vice President of the JSS along with him and had the timing delayed by an hour.

The Gandhi Bhavan is a geriatric shelter for the many elders who've been dumped by their children for a variety of reasons. Its inmates provide numbing stories about the total break up of the family ever since the gradual disappearance of the joint family system, during the late '70s and the early '80s, in Kerala. One wonders as to how people can forget their parents' contribution towards their progression in life! The shelter has about 1,200 inmates.

Somaraj sir, his wife and son have taken pains to bring up the organisation to the present standards. He remembered his association with my grandfather during the Library Movement as well as in the activities of the KANFED very fondly. He held my hand as he saw us off. TP Madhavan, the film personality and the son of the late Dr. NP Pillai sir - who was another fellow traveler along with PN Panicker - was very thrilled and he recounted the numerous times my grandfather had visited their house. I felt very honoured when he draped a ceremonial shawl around my shoulders. I must confess that I wasn't very happy with the speech that I'd delivered - it was passable - but I thoroughly enjoyed the distribution of the course certificates thereafter.

We'd the ceremonial lunch soon after and I felt nice that I could finally visit the institution which is doing a great service to the society. Here's wishing that it grows from strength to strength!

            *                                   *                                  *
On our return, I found that action was on to get our landline operational. The overhead line had snapped which was replaced. Soman, the supervisor, has said that he would send his son to me for advice. Mom had given him an assurance that his son's job attainment would be looked after by me!

            *                                    *                                  *
Soon after Pramod from the Star Dish TV, had set right the problem - the signal received from the dish antenna was weak. Initially, as he switched on our television set, the reception seemed to be okay which made me look silly. But as we explained the problem, he'd looked up the antenna, spotted the error and corrected it. It was then that he opened up about his elder brother, Pradeep who wanted to rejoin the Army that he'd left on his own volition and was dismissed from service for being AWOL(Absent Without Leave) for over three years.

I'd spoken to him upon Pramod's insistence and was curious to know as to why he'd committed such a blunder. He'd fallen in love with a girl, married her and when he had come on emergency leave to see their first child, he didn't feel like returning - just like that! A costly mistake and he's now repenting about it. He does odd jobs but I could understand that he, having had a ten year stint in the Army, considered himself a failure in life! I've asked him to send me his particulars to see as to what I can do for him.

I'm impressed by the love between the siblings!


Tailpiece.

Mohanachandran's medical bulletin.

"He continues to be in the 'dangerously list......a term used in defence hospitals. Fever persists....opened his right eye just once. Spinal fluid culture not yet done. We continue with prayers".
From Suresh Laxman.


      

No comments:

Post a Comment