Monday, November 27, 2017

Donning the role of Chairman.

It was morning as usual and I'd woken up a trifle after 6, while Lekha and Rema were up and about much earlier. The light conversation, over tea and rusks, pepped up the morning's proceedings while old Malayalam film songs were playing in the background. Was reminded about the good 'ole times when mom used to have the radio switched on for the 'Udayageetham' and dad going out for his early morning walks.

Yesterday evening's rains had left enough moisture on the Chevy and I could do a satisfactory clean up of the car. After a sumptuous breakfast, the three of us headed into different directions - Lekha to pay obeisance at the Kottarakkara Ganapati kshetram along with her sister, Rema to Pidavoor to give company to Amma and Aji for the next three days and me, to visit two of the training units of the Jan Sikshan Sansthan, Kollam. Sasi, the director with Benoy at the wheel had fetched up by about a half past 9. It was great seeing Benoy after months of convalescence, consequent to a horrific road accident. A car had knocked down his mobike and run away.....with a few deft moves we're able to help the police to hunt down the offender. I'd promised the youngster that I'd deliver justice because, according to me the defaulter was guilty on two grave counts:-

      (a) He did a cowardly act in leaving the victim to his misery, on the road, without providing help.
      (b) By doing so, he showed that he'd no respect for fellow human beings, showing that he's an
            animal(Wonder whether the animal kingdom would be cut up with me for comparing the
            scumbag with them?)

Benoy, now sports a belt around his knee and calf for support and confirmed that much of his woes have become a thing of the past. However, he's undergoing physiotherapy even now. He sports a French beard and seems to be serene, confident and smiles a lot more than he used to!

Our first stop was at Karavaloor, between Punalur and Anchal, where the JSS was initiating a week's course on paper/cloth bag manufacture for the special people. When my turn came to speak, I just said that I'd a problem and I quote - "I've a problem with the usage,'differently abled'. To my mind you're going about your daily chores unmindful of your discomfort and are now poised to take on opportunities that came your way. You're, therefore, absolutely normal. Probably, the phrase has been coined to satisfy certain administrative requirements. Otherwise, I am convinced that it's those people, despite being able bodied, who fritter away their time doing wrong and frivolous things who're actually differently abled".

It had come straight from deep within, without briefing or preparation. I knew that I'd the twenty five of them with me when I saw them nodding to someone saying that "he's after all the grandson of a legend"! Well!!

Our next stop was at Anchal where there were 44 women trainees undergoing our three month training course on dress making. It was nice interacting with them and I found that they're positively oriented, looking forward to doing well. My only advice to them was to dream big and that the organisation would help them to market their finished textile wares, sans middlemen, so that they got the right price for their products.

By a half past 3, I was back home. There was the farming activity of deweeding that was going on since morning and I could take in the nuances by spending time with them. The evening rains were severe and over a long duration but thankfully, without lightning or thunder.


Tailpiece.

Mohanachandran's medical bulletin.

"Mohan's condition remains the same without any improvement. In a lab test it is said that his infection count has reduced from 20,000 to 14,000. But the doctors say that they suspect infection of the vital organs and so a fluid test is to be conducted, for which consent has been signed today. Hope for the best. Prayers from all is a must". From Vipinachandran.  

"Also, the stitches have been removed this morning". From Suresh Laxman. 

No comments:

Post a Comment