Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Six years have gone by.

Today is Santhan Kochachhan's sixth Remembrance day. He'd passed into the mist of time eleven days after Leela kunjamma in '11. He was a genial person and was liked by one and all in the family.

*                                          *                                       *

I first saw him in end Nov '63, standing beside the left pillar at the main entrance of the Thampanoor Railway Station. Consequent to my dad's transfer, the entire family - dad, mom, 8 year old me, 3 year old Rema and a babe-in-arms Mini - was returning to Thiruvananthapuram to stay with Muthachhan and Ammachi (Six months later, mom was off to my dad's place to take up her job as the Branch Post Mistress of Kura PO and she took Mini along with her. I was put into class III of the Holy Angels' Convent and Rema, into the Carmel Nursery School, next door to our house, Kalpar on the Easwara Vilasom Road).

Coming back to the evening, I shall describe it in Santhan Kochachhan's own words when he told me about his predicament much, much later on, "I was not scared of anything till then. I was in love with Villu(Vilasini Kunjamma, my mom's second sister) and she'd told me that it was important that chechi(Mom) endorsed me to take the wedding formalities to the next level". Maman was at the railway station to receive us with the car and he seemed to be terribly excited and pointed, rather unabashedly at Santhan kochachhan, as Vichani's(My kunjamma's nickname) guy who was standing along with his friend, whom we all knew as 'Swami' from then on!

        *                                    *                                       *

Well, everything went along fine and the two of them got married five months later on 27 Apr '64 at the Guruvayur temple. Their's, incidentally, was the first love marriage in the PN Panicker family! The couple used to be a fantastic sight with them going to the office in the morning - their offices were also situated close by, her Khadi Board and his Government Press, behind the Government Secretariat at Statue junction! - and returning in the evening by a half past 5, always together!!

They have two lovely daughters in Bindu and Sindhu.

        *                                    *                                       *

His culinary abilities were legendary. When he entered the kitchen and made a meal, not only was it super but was also a great help to Ammachi and the ladies. I, specifically, remember the days he used to make puries...they're simply the best. He, also, helped Ammachi to acquire grocery for the house on a monthly basis while Ammachi's assistant, Thangamma bought the vegetables and fruits from the market in Palayam!

My progress cards from school used to be signed by Muthachhan most of the times but whenever there was a dip in the marks, Santhan kochachhan signed up as my guardian. He asked no questions except for an advice that I should make up on my deficiencies and do well the next time. That was the trend when I'd joined Model School in class V, after one and a half years in the Holy Angels' Convent!

When I'd joined Sainik School in Jan '67, Santhan Kochachhan and Vichani kunjamma stood in for my parents as my guests during the Annual Sports Meet and the School's Annual Day Celebrations. Kurup kochachhan-Leela kunjamma and Sasi kochachan-Indira kunjamma had also been my guests, in turn!

         *                                    *                                      *

After Sainik School while awaiting the NDA results in '72 and when I was doing first year BSc(Physics) at the University College, every night, after finishing my studies, I and Santhan kochachhan used to pair up and beat almost everyone at the card game of 28. This, of course, was disrupted when I'd gone off to Pune to join the NDA in Jan '73.

          *                                   *                                       *

They've also visited us many times when I was posted at Kochi subsequently. I reckon that they enjoyed being with Lekha and me!

          *                                   *                                       *

I shall never forget my last conversation with Santhan kochachhan at Leela kunjamma's funeral when he insisted that his heart's condition was worse than Leela kunjamma's. He'd sat next to dad and me and told me about the minor discomforts that followed the intake of medicines because of his medical condition. He looked okay and without problems and never in my wildest of dreams did I know that I'd never see him again. I, also can hear my dad's wail on seeing him lying in state on that fateful day, six years ago.... 

Santhan Kochachha, I can go on and on about you and as to how you'd touched our lives by your pleasant and non partisan behaviour. Why did you've to go away so early? Missing you!



Tailpiece.

Dampened by the call for 'hartal' tomorrow, in Thrissur district, by the 'Hindu Aikya Vedi' for this early morning take over of the Sree Parthasarathy temple by the Malabar Devaswom Board, setting aside the local trust in a stealthily carried out move. Was it really necessary?








No comments:

Post a Comment