Saturday, November 4, 2017

All in a day's work.

After a lot of dithering, I'd gone to town to get a few pending things done. When I'd gone to the bank to transfer money in connection with Lekha's investment, I found that most of the top echelon were missing. It was the bank's 'Vilakku' at the temple today and they were there, overseeing the final arrangements. However, a chirpy and ever smiling young lady had taken me under her wings and had gone through the transaction.

She had told me about the 'Life Certificate' being ready and I went through the biometrics identification and got an acknowledgement. To my discomfort, I'd to see my Aadhaar photograph that was not flattering at all - in it, I look like a rapist and a thug! The after effects of using a computer camera for the photography!!

As I was walking towards my next stop, I'd walked past the bank where my mom had her account. Had she been with us today, it would have been time for getting her Life Certificate too. A wave of memories swept through my mind:-

     (a) The manager would come to 'The Quarterdeck' to clear my mom's Life Certificate. He was
           from Kurichi, a place close to Neelamperoor where she'd spent a good part of her childhood
           and she was very fond of Subhash on that score.
     (b) Every month, I used to pull out money from her account through the ATM counter at the
           ground floor.
     (c) Earlier, it was SBT and now, it's SBI after the merger.
     (d) Ever since her passing away, the bank has become yet another place of no consequence!

Life is like that. A thing of importance today could become redundant and of no consequence, tomorrow - a simple law of nature!

      *                                             *                                                  *

The overhead water filter seems to be having a problem. It's five months since it was last cleaned and is due for a wash up. Meanwhile, a plumber was called in, who'd confirmed that the system looked okay when I asked him to check for ruptures in the tank or for any other problem. He was, then, tasked to fill up distilled water in the batteries so that he didn't have to return, doing nothing.

The evening filling up of water in the overhead tank went off without any overflow but the taps remained dry. Call for the filter washer, first thing in the morning, tomorrow has taken priority on the 'do it' diary!

       *                                             *                                                  *

Vishnu, from my office at Kollam, had come by in the evening to get my signatures on the cheques for disbursement, early next week. He's come with his entire family to visit the temple. He brought good tidings about Benoy, my official chauffeur, who has begun driving the vehicle after a year's lay off, consequent to a bad road accident.


Tailpiece.

The evening drizzle prevented me from going out for my customary walk. Instead, I did the exercises within the confines of 'The Quarterdeck' and on the walker.

No comments:

Post a Comment