Saturday, November 18, 2017

Adieu Ashraf!

I'd gone to the bank on work and had boarded the bespectacled Ashraf's autorickshaw for the purpose. Enroute, in conversation, I'd inquired about the other Ashraf's - a quiet and genial guy - health. He was suffering from cancer of his kidneys. Eight months back, I'd called him up to give me an early morning drop at the railway station. He'd fetched up promptly and I'd noticed that his face was puffed up and he'd a yellow hue about his face. On querying, he'd told me about his illness. I was angry that he'd not told me about his illness and his reply was, "Sir, I'm okay and I didn't have the heart to say no to you. I undertake only very few trips and I like ferrying you!" What could I say in retort to such a disarming answer? I never knew, then, that that was my last glimpse of him!

I was shocked to hear that Ashraf had passed into the mist of time about a month back. He was only 47 and has left behind his wife and three children. I can't get over it. 

RIP, Ashraf. You've been kind to me and I shall remain indebted to you for life. May your near and dear ones have the strength to pass through these stressful times.

I'd got up by a quarter past 5, was ready for the walk but, alas, a slight drizzle played spoilsport and I  ended up walking within our courtyard, reciting my prayers! The caretaker had called up to say that the work of clearing up the weeds immediately around Raj Nivas had been started and it would take five women workers to do the job. They, actually, pull out the weeds, roots-et-all and do a damn good job!

Incidentally, in communist ruled Kerala, the woman worker is not paid the wages at par with their male counterparts! The man gets Rs.700/- per day while the woman is paid Rs.600/-

Debashish Chakraborty, Suni - Lekha's classmate and friend - and Shreya came in by lunch time. They'd come to our house last, in '07, while we're at Delhi. They're currently at Ranipet in Tamilnadu and Debu is into the leather business. A typical and lovable Bengali who is passionate about his work and is knowledgeable about a lot many things. They plan to settle down at Hosur where they've a two bedroom house. Their daughter, Shreya, studying in class XII is sharp, inquisitive and an adorable kid; we'd seen her in a frock then and her parents remembered the occasion when I wasn't satisfied with the frocks that the shop owner and our friend, Sarabjit was showing us in his shop at the Gopinath Market of Delhi Cantt...... They left, after dinner, back to the hotel near the temple where their group was putting up and will return to Ranipet only by afternoon, tomorrow. It was nice catching up with them!

Soon after their departure, by about a half past 9, Appu - the youngest son of Lekshmi, another friend of Lekha's, based at Kollam - had fetched up. The two classmates had tied up regarding Appu's stay at our place since getting a room in any of the hotels in Guruvayur for single men is out of the question. This has been enforced by the local police when stories about illicit affairs taking place in hotels had been reported. Appu is doing CA and he gave in the details of the course that's supposed to have the minimum pass percentage - under 10% - in the country! The youngster's information that north Indians were being favoured, during the compilation of the overall results, was saddening!! He, however, gave us the good news of his sister, Gayathri, being in the family way and of his dad going to have a shot at the Governorship of the Lions Club of the district (It includes Thiruvananthapuram, Kollam and Kayankulam and has a total of about 115 clubs) in May '18.

It was a comparatively early evening despite the busy yet interesting day.

Suresh Laxman's medical bulletin on Mohanachandran, for the day, said, "Those who saw him this morning say that the swelling on his face has reduced. He is being weaned out of the ventilator and sedation slowly. Let's hope for the best". 


Tailpiece.

Did you know that in the early 20th century, horses - drawing carriages and carts - were causing so much pollution with their poop that cars/buses were seen as the "green" solution? And more than a hundred years later, we're talking about their replacement with vehicles, propelled by electricity!

No comments:

Post a Comment