Sunday, November 5, 2017

I ain't surprised with this survey.

Only one in every four car occupants use seat belts. The outcome of a "Seat belt use in India"survey conducted by Maruti Suzuki India, across 17 cities, gives the following additional information:-

     (a) South Indians are most reluctant to use this life-saving technology.
     (b) 81% women drivers skip using it while 68% of their male counterparts flout the rule.
     (c) 75% of people don't use seat belt while driving.
     (d) 72% of drivers, 70% of passengers in front seat don't use seat belts.
     (e) 96% of rear passengers don't use seat belts (I remember the backlash that I faced from my
           folks, including mom, when I'd insisted on everyone wearing the seat belt. I'd to backtrack
           from my strictness when I found the resistance to be stiff. My mom, knowing that I was right,
           used to clutch the seat belt in her hand from then on. I could make out that it wasn't 
           comfortable enough because of the angles and have now got used to seeing the passengers
           at the rear seat without the belt. I and Lekha make it a point to use it during our drives!)
     (f) While Nagpur, Jaipur and Chandigarh showed a high compliance, Coimbatore, Indore and
          Bangalore showed low compliance.

  According to global studies, wearing of seat belts reduce risk of death by 45% and cut risk of
  serious injury by 50%.

Only strict enforcement can make more people wear their seat belts. The respondents to the survey
had agreed that it was the fear of police action and fines which motivated them to wear seat belts.

My take.

I must hasten to add that it's outright ignorance, on the part of the passengers, which is a contributory factor in the non compliance of the rule. For example, most air passengers unhook their seat belts soon after landing even as the aircraft is taxiing at high speeds. They are under the wrong impression that the belts are only required for take offs and landings! Just imagine a situation when the pilot has to suddenly slam on the brakes while taxiing!! 

And does it give a macho feeling when they are not wearing the seat belts? 



Tailpiece.

I'd called up Elsie ma'am, this morning around 8, about the requirement of washing down our overhead water filter. She agreed to send somebody on Monday morning, Sunday being a holiday and I'd replied that it would be a great help if somebody could be sent in this morning itself. Perhaps, sensing the urgency in my request, her son was at our doorstep half an hour later and within 15', the problem was licked. I thanked the mother-son duo for their helpful attitude and felt nice when I heard her say, "Anything for you, sir". 

No comments:

Post a Comment