Monday, November 13, 2017

Adieu Sasi Pillai!

This morning our caretaker, Vijayan had called me up to say that Sasi Pillai was admitted at the Vijaya's Hospital at Kottarakkara after he suffered a massive heart attack around a half past 2, early in the morning. By afternoon, he passed into the mist of time. He's survived by his wife and two children who're married and have their own families. He was 69.

Sasi Pillai's tryst with our family had begun in end '68. Raj Nivas - my mom and dad's nest - was commissioned in Feb '68. His mother, Naani ammoomma of the Thottadiyil Veedu, smack opposite to our house and the youngest brother, Mohanan looked after the household chores and running the errands, respectively. Mohanan's education was taken over by my parents and though he began in the same class as my kid sister, Rema, since he was unenthusiastic about studies, finally ended up with Mini, my younger sister!

My paternal grandfather had handed over a paddy field from the family's holdings to my dad to conduct farming activities. Meanwhile, Sasidharan Pillai, the sixth child and the fifth son of Nani ammoomma had befriended my parents and taken on the job of doing work in the field immediately around the house and the lonely paddy field. On confirming that he'd a hardworking hand to work in his farm, my dad had bought a 40 cent paddy field adjacent to Meeran George's - he was notorious for his drinking habits and the quarrels that he'd pick up under its influence made sure that were no takers for that bit of wet land - house and together had harvested a record output, which became a talk in the village those days!

Dad used to call him 'Sasi Pillai' and he became that to all of us, irrespective of age! He used to affectionately call me, 'Rajaavu' and treated me and my sisters with a lot of love and affection. When I used to be back from Sainik School, on vacation, he used to be my chaperone and thus, I was able to observe the intricate farming activities at close quarters. His efficiency at work made my parents acquire more land holdings, fill up the brand new cattle shelter - embedded to the rear of the barn - with a cow and its calf, a couple of goats and a pair of bullocks. The thinking was that our farming activity should begin on time and did not have to wait for the availability of bullocks or implements that were available on hire - it was Sasi Pillai's idea! The brood of chicken was tended by Nani ammoomma and I and my sisters had a great time collecting the newly laid eggs from the shelter, everyday.

Dad was able to convert all of us - essentially from an urban background - into an agrarian family within no time and Sasi Pillai was the real reason for that great change. The house used to have scores of people during harvesting time and the seed sowing time. Mom had to go to office and it was Nani ammoomma, who used to make food for everyone, on her directions. People came and went after meeting up with my parents - dad was available only during his leave as he was still at work, at Alibag - for advice, help and many a time to just see us, the children.

The Thalavoor village had begun to take note of our family that had got used to the ways of village life within a short span of time, much to the delight of my paternal grandparents. There used to be a continuous stream of guests and for all my cousins from mom's side, Raj Nivas and Thalavoor had become their 'native place' that they boasted about to their friends at school. The swing would be put on the mango tree behind the house before any house in the vicinity, during the time of Onam celebrations, courtesy this one dynamite of a man!

Sasi Pillai was with us for a good twenty years after which he'd set up his own family and got busy with his personal life, but was on call whenever required. The farming activities were handled by his older brother, the late Manian Pillai who'd joined us as his substitute. But Sasi Pillai was Sasi Pillai - there was no one to replace him. He was unique and good at everything he did.

I remember him, looking quite sad, during my dad's and mom's funerals and since he was, then, an influential member of the Nair Service Society's 'Karayogam' had ensured that everything went like clockwork. Much later, he was beside me with suggestions and help during my niece, Ammu's wedding in May, this year. Our present caretaker, Vijayan, his niece's husband, took advice from him about the work in our compound.

RIP Sasi Pillai. I can never forget you and your contributions for our family. Rema, Lekha and I will be there with your family tomorrow to spend some time with him. May they've the strength to tide over their tremendous loss.



Tailpiece.

Meanwhile, the sitrep on my friend, who's in the ICCU of the KIMS. A CT scan showed an increase in the size of the blood clot in Mohanachandran's brain. Surgery was conducted in the evening to open a small space on the left side of the skull to give space for the brain, in case it swells. The clot is being managed with medication. We, classmates, collectively prayed for him through communication on What'sApp at 1700 hrs.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment