Monday, July 8, 2019

A quiet, yet nice day!

Lekha and I'd got up at our usual time. The lamp was lit in the 'puja room', we went about our chores and had our breakfast of dosas, chutney and sambar - from the Georges' hotel, nearby. Lekha had called for the auto rickshaw at a half past 8 and therefore, we'd our breakfast together just prior to her departure for the Kottarakkara Maha Ganapati kshetram. Meanwhile, I'd cleaned up the Chevy and washed down a small bundle of soiled clothes.

My cousin, Unni chettan, had been asking me for a bottle of brandy for quite a while. Normally, I neither encourage nor entertain such requests because it has its cascading effects but this time, I'd decided to give it an exception and had brought the stuff along with me which I'd handed over to him this morning. The controlled yet visible excitement writ large on his face was palpable and it, definitely, was a Kodak moment! Anyway, I was glad that I'd made him happy for the day!!

Lekha had picked up her sister enroute and together, they'd completed the visit to the temple - they like doing this because it reminds them of their childhood days amid familiar surroundings and I've always seen Lekha returning from such trips, quite rejuvenated.

Flashback, " Can never forget those difficult days of Aug '93. Lekha's SLE(Systemic Lupus Erythmatosus) was getting to be serious - she used to have fever, almost continuously, losing her appetite in the bargain. Her requests for ice creams and fried fish had to be turned down because of her medical condition. And when she was wheeled into the CCU(Coronary Care Unit) as she'd slipped into coma - with the doctor being pessimistic - I remembered how I'd prayed to God to get her back because I wanted to give her the fried fish and the ice creams that she wanted to have. And as soon as she was reasonably well, I'd made sure that she was provided with whatever she liked". From then on, I've never said 'nyet' to her for anything because I know as to how lousy I'd felt during those helpless, bad days!

My sister, Rema, had come by after we'd finished our lunch and by a half past 2, we were off to the Government High School for the public meeting on completion of the 'Reading Fortnight' being celebrated by the State Library Council. The organisers had invited me for the function, reminding yet again this morning that the commencement time was 1500 hrs. The drive to Vettikkavala, was nice as I'd ascertained the route earlier.

There were many elders whom I'd met at the meeting who reminisced their interactions with PN Panicker, my grandfather, during the Library Movement. Mr C Das, came and told me as to how blessed he was because he'd heard my grandfather, years back and today, he'd heard me! I felt humbled as I held his folded hands and looked into his moist eyes - for me, it was an overwhelming moment!!

On our return, we dropped Rema at Padmakumar's house. It was a quiet evening thereafter....the second day without television as I have not recharged our dish connection owing to our short stay this time. In the bargain, Lekha and I got enough time to talk.


Tailpiece.

The day was warm and sultry. It rained only in the evening. Have also fixed up with Indira kunjamma for staying with her before we go for the school's Old Boys' Association's golden jubilee celebrations PM 11 Jul.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment