Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Death, at close quarters!

The alarm was set for a half past 5. Accordingly, we'd got up, gone through the chores and were off to the hospital by a half past 6. Since the pharmacy was free of people buying medicines, I could collect the two sets of injections and the antibiotic(One set for the evening!) and also collect the refund of the medicines that were returned, without much delay.

Had gone back to our house when a call from the lab, where we were to reach by a half past 9 for an ultrasonic scan of Lekha's cheeks, informed me that the pathologist specifically referred to by the surgeon, to conduct the scan, was reluctant because she was busy. I'd rung up the surgeon, briefed him about the pathologist's reluctance, told him that we were ready for an alternate pathologist but he'd asked me to wait and promised to correct the situation.

A few minutes later, I received a call from the pathologist's desk saying that she would, indeed, perform the scan. Her receptionist had noted it wrongly as 'carotid' instead of 'parotid' when I was fixing up the appointment last evening! I was taken aback because the doctor was shirking off her responsibility in the case of a 'carotid' scan. Is this what professional integrity has come down to? I'd noted in my mind that I'd put her into the right way of thinking when I met her later!

We were at the hospital by a half past 10. Went through the initial procedure and the scan was carried out. I could meet the pathologist, a smart looking lady who seemed to be in her early 40s. After taking her inputs on Lekha's condition - thankfully, she wouldn't need any surgery as there were no lesions, whatsoever. I, then, spoke to her about my misgivings in her not wanting to do my wife's scan at the beginning! Had to lecture her on 'ethics' and the eagerness one must show in taking up any case and I hope, it has not fallen on deaf ears!

It was lunch and siesta, soon after. Was touched by Dr(Mrs) Sodhi's eagerness to know about the surgeon's course of treatment and I did brief her about it. It had slipped off from my mind, really.

By a 10' past 6, we were back at the casualty of the hospital for administering the injection. As we were waiting, a gentleman was wheel chaired into the hall. He looked to be about 50 years and was short and rotund. His complaint was about the dryness in his throat due to a spike in his sugar level. The reading was taken which was 174 and the doctor said that he was gonna be okay, asking the attendants to shift the patient on to the bed. With great difficulty, the attendants could shift him on to the bed and a few minutes later, his face started getting distorted as though he was undergoing a heavy pain and he'd frothed in the mouth.

The entire set of staff pushed his bed into an enclosure, covered on three sides by thick curtains and I could see the resustication process started which went on for a fairly long time but to no avail! His abdomen had bloated considerably by then, the wife was crying silently on a nearby chair and their son looked sad and befuddled!

I realised that I was quite near him as his soul had taken wings and flown out to the nether world. Not knowing his name, I shall call him 'Stranger'. RIP, Stranger sir. My tears and prayers for your near and dear ones to tide over these stressful times!

Our task finished, we made a quiet exit with Hamid steering us through the busy road.


Tailpiece.

1. Maman had gone for his medical review to day. Spoke to him about what the doctor had advised and it was nice to hear that there's a great amount of progress in his medical condition.

2. Savio, my classmate had called up from Chicago to clear his doubts about Lekha's difficulty. It was he who said that infection of the Parotid often takes place in Lupus patients when the intake of water is inadequate. That seems to be a plausible reason!

    

No comments:

Post a Comment