Saturday, July 20, 2019

Adieu JS Iyer sir.

One of the early morning messages in my inbox said that Mr J Sankaranarayana Iyer sir had passed into the mist of time around 58 minutes past midnight in a private hospital in Thiruvananthapuram. All of 88 years, he had been living in and out of old age homes with his wife, thanks to his wayward children.

Iyer sir taught us Maths in '68, while I was a class VIII student in the Sainik School, Kazhakoottam. He had a unique style of teaching and kindled an interest, in me, for the subject with his ready wit and caring concern. His classes used to be interesting with a generous sprinkling of anecdotes and the manner in which he tore into those who didn't show interest in his subject.

Much later had I come to know that he used to meet PN Panicker, my grandfather, during his many trips to Thiruvananthapuram and update him about my performance at school. The last time I'd met him and his wife was at New Delhi, about 9 years back, when he was our guest among the school's old boys. I can never forget the disarming smile that he displayed - the one that's reserved for someone one likes - on seeing me. He hugged me when I'd touched his feet and held me for a while much to the envy of many of my friends and the others who were privy to the moment!

Wonder what forced him into the confines of a series of old age homes especially, when I say that he has three sons? Were sir and his wife so unacceptable to them or to their wives that they didn't want to look after them in their twilight years? I'm sure God will deal with each one of them at the appropriate time. Am worried about the plight of his good lady who has now been left all alone!

RIP sir. My salute to a great teacher and a good human being. With tears and prayers. May Mrs. Iyer have the strength to tide over this irreparable loss!

They don't make them teachers like you anymore, sir. I consider myself fortunate in having grown up under your tutelage!


Tailpiece.

The last of the intravenous injections was administered on Lekha this morning around a half past 6. We'd got up at 5, gone through the chores and Hamid took us in his rick by a quarter past 6. Naveen had administered the injection nicely and smoothly, that, Lekha didn't even feel the pain when the needle was plunged into her. From tomorrow onward, she'll be on oral antibiotics for five days!

PS.

The flip side!

The year was 1981 and I was on board INS Amba. On one of my evening outings with my school senior, KM Bhoj, we came across HS Subramania Iyer(Roll no.426) of my class and after the interaction, I'd invited him, for lunch, on board my ship the next Sunday. He was working as a member of the security staff at the TIFR and had arrived at the appointed hour. After a couple of beers, Subbu tells me, "Hey, Rajeev I didn't know that you were so nice" and went on to narrate an incident that happened way back in school.

The venue was Class VIII A at the Sainik School and Subbu and I were in the same class. For some reason or the other - was it a power cut all through the previous evening, I wonder? - many of us had not done the homework that Iyer sir had given us. We were made to stand and sir had come around to each one of us to find out the reason for our blasphemous lapse and many tasted the harsh whack of his cane. When he came to me he'd asked me the reason and I replied that I'd forgotten. "If you were to repeat it, I'll tell your grandfather" and let me off. Subbu was one the many who tasted the sting of the cane that day and in his young mind, he must have felt that I was given a reprieve, rather unjustly, because of my family connections. He must have felt bad and consequently, hated me all those years and was just validating his feelings that afternoon!

Subbu is no more with us as he had passed into the mist of time quite a few years back with a liver problem!     

No comments:

Post a Comment