Thursday, March 12, 2020

A double whammy!

Had got up leisurely in the morning and the four of us - Lekha, Rema, Padmakumar and self - talked over the morning cup of tea, with rusks. A quick wash and change, breakfast of dosas and chutney and by 9, we were on our return to Guruvayur.

The traffic was manageable and I could navigate through the traffic with ease and was about 10 km from Guruvayur, when tragedy struck. A private bus, from the opposite direction, had maneuvered in a stupid manner, that the motorist ahead of me had jammed his brakes. I was quick to take avoiding action because I'd maintained a distance of twice my car length and came to a dead halt. After a matter of a couple of seconds, there was a loud thump, as the car behind, had hit our Chevy's tailboard and the car behind him had rammed into his car's tailboard.

My initial reaction was anger but I realised that the driver behind - a taxi driver, to boot - was shaking like mad and kept pointing at me saying that I'd braked hard. I'd to speak and I let the entire lot have it (By now, the leading occupant of the taxi had come out saying that he was into insurance and assured me that the insurance would cover the damages. He was on his way to having a 'darshan' of Guruvayurappan!).

But I'd to educate (?) the guys in my own manner and I did just that."Dear pilgrim to Guruvayur, you'd better change your taxi because your guy is not a good driver. You might not reach back at all. Wonder who has issued him his driving license? He doesn't seem to understand the safe distance that his vehicle must maintain - especially, when the vehicles are negotiating high speeds - from the vehicle in front to avoid such close quarter situations! The insurance guy immediately piped down and I asked the driver to show me his papers to see if everything was in order, if not, I was planning to hand him over to the Guruvayur Police Station. The driver who was on the offensive initially - this is the tactic that guys, usually, employ to cow down the other and gain an upper hand, even if they are in the wrong! - had begun to punctuate every sentence of his with a 'saar'.

I wanted to give the guy a tight slap but held back my temper, on a tight leash!

We reached 'The Quarterdeck' by a half past 1, after picking up stuff from the department store and Lekha had made a swift and wonderful lunch! I'd called up my 'customer service adviser', Sreejith, to report about the mishap and fixed up an appointment for 1000 hrs tomorrow, along with the insurance surveyor. Hope the work doesn't get delayed for want of spares, which is the thing that I dread!

Every time I see my Chevy, I feel terrible!

It was a quiet evening, thereafter, with the usual chores of unpacking and washing machinex.


Tailpiece.

The Congress, through Kapil Sibal, has said in Parliament, today, that the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) doesn't snatch anyone's citizenship away. Then why were they spreading falsehood and scare mongering the people for the last three months? Sad!

The entire opposition has been exposed!!     

No comments:

Post a Comment