Monday, March 9, 2020

To Ernakulam and back.

Lekha woke me up at a half past 5.

The day had begun with a comedy. I'd planned to wear a shirt and a dhoti for the wedding. Unluckily, the packet that I'd picked up, thinking it to be a dhoti, turned out to be a shawl and quickly changed plans and wore a normal shirt and trouser.!

Went through the chores, had a quick breakfast and was in the process of getting ready when Prathapan, my chauffeur for the day, fetched up. We, finally, left around a quarter to 8 through the Pathanapuram - Adoor and later, through the Changanasserry - Alappuzha route to attend the Shasmira - Sheridon wedding at the Empress Hotel at Paalaarivattom. The muhurtham was between 1200 and 1230 hrs.

My friends were quick to comment that they expected me to be wearing a dhoti. I did tell them about my faux pas that became a joke for the day.

Prathapan was a good driver and he handled the Chevy well. We were at the venue of the wedding by a trifle after 11 and I was among the early birds! It was nice interacting with each one of them and the course had a sizeable presence. Spoke to Suresh and Supriya, Shasmira's parents and I was glad that I'd made up for our absence at their son, Saurabh's wedding.

The wedding took place within the muhurtham that was promulgated and it was nicely done - there seemed to be a small confusion about the sequence of events towards the end but I don't think anyone noticed it! I couldn't meet up with Supriya's parents as they were at Thalasserry, because her mom wasn't keeping well. Met up the newlyweds to bless them and I gave an invite for them to visit us at Guruvayur.

There were two inputs that I found to be interesting :-

   (a) Supriya was wearing her wedding saree. Wearing it for the second time, she said.
   (b) The young couple had got to know each other at a football stadium. Both are soccer
         enthusiasts!

After a quick lunch, Prathapan and I were on our return trip, without wasting any time. The roads had manageable traffic and we were back in Raj Nivas, just as the procession was slowly reaching the gates of the house. Ten caparisoned elephants, around 60 tableaux and several dance and folk music groups formed up the procession which took almost two hours to pass a point. Seeing this after a lapse of six years, as it comes in rotation! Last time in Mar 2014, mom was also with us to witness the event!

It was down to yakkitiyakking as Rema and Padmakumar had fetched up by lunchtime, from Thrippunithura. Mom's help, Sumangala called on us and it was nice interacting with her, after a long time. Muttathe Kamalamma chechi and Suresh came, soon after, to invite us for his daughter's wedding in early April.

After dinner, Padmakumar and I'd walked to the Thrikkonnamarkodu temple and had a 'darshan' of the goddess in all her grandeur. Actually, had no plans to go out but did not want him to go all by himself and therefore, had tagged along. After having completed the 4 km walk, must admit that I felt nice.


Tailpiece.

Could accomplish all that I'd wanted to do for the day and felt glad.    

No comments:

Post a Comment